@$&)@!&%*-ing Google!

Discussion in 'Players´ Corner' started by Hardstick, Sep 14, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Hardstick

Hardstick Exceptional Talent

Could use a little help here, guys.

My anti-virus program automatically updated and, for some frakking reason, installed Google Chrome on my PC. Without permission or notification, I might add.

Yet, aside from the fact that I'm now in need of a new anti-virus program, since this one is going RIGHT into the trash after this (the treacherous oiks!), I'm now having problems with the client.

I can sign in and play the game just fine, but when I click on the Forum, Website or Voucher buttons, the client CTDs. I'm sure it was Chrome that frakked it up. Is there any way to fix this?

2. Biohazard

Biohazard Commander of the Forum

Out of curiosity, what browser do you usually use?
    Out of all browsers that I have installed (Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Tor, Vivaldi), Chrome is my favorite. Before you ask, no I'm not insane, I need all major browsers for work related stuff.

Anyway, back to the topic.
    I'm pretty sure you fraked it up :p.

Launchers calls your default browser when clicking on the Website and Forums button, and tells it which page to load.
    I've just set my default browser to Firefox, then deleted the Firefox executable (on purpose) and voila:
    [​IMG]
    Yet another fine example of BP failing... Launcher is calling an external application that doesn't exist, and instead of catching the error in try/catch block it just crashes.

People, don't... don't go around your drive and deleting programs manually, that's nasty, always use Add/Remove.
    If that's not what you did, then somehow (again most probably due to user error :p) your default browser setting in Windows is messed up.
    On Win 10, go to Windows Settings -> Default apps and set your default browser to whatever you are using now.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps, good luck.

3. booogie

booogie Board Veteran

Always love the add on programs...

Did you set a restore point you can go back to ?

I am running an AV (free from my isp McAfee) and 2 chrome extensions to block spam crap from popping up.

What AV did you install ?

4. SixSixSeven

SixSixSeven All knowing Oracle

Pffft! I use Lynx.

Biohazard and booogie like this.
  5. booogie

booogie Board Veteran

Chance is close to level 2 gear... fear the Chance gank

Jim_Calvert and SixSixSeven like this.
  6. Stormseeker

Stormseeker Emperor of the Forum

Possibly related, there was a windows 10 update that went out last night/this morning that messed up my video drivers yet again. Uninstall, reinstall, things work again. Seriously microsoft, what the hell?

TFO_Kobol and SixSixSeven like this.
  7. SixSixSeven

You missed the post where he warned me he had lvl 2 gearz now. Rumor is he's close to lvl 4. Uh oh!
    Same. It was the "pre-release" to the big Fall Update that's coming, that will add very little that very few need, but mess up a lot of people who don't care.

I need to spend another round trying to figure out if there's a way to stop Win10 updates, but so far it seems like they're forced down our throats, like it or not.
    Bio's prolly the only person who got this joke.

booogie and Stormseeker like this.
  8. MR_JINGLES

MR_JINGLES Forum Commissioner

Whadda we talkin' bout?

TFO_Kobol and Jim_Calvert like this.
  9. Biohazard

Biohazard Commander of the Forum

There are 2 ways that I'm aware of and both of them work:
    1) Using the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
    2) By adding a key to the Windows Registry.

This guide: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10
    explains the steps nicely.
    Just one important note, GPE isn't available in Home edition of Windows. There are ways to "install" GPE on Home edition, but they aren't official (you are adding functionality Microsoft originally locked you out of) and more importantly it takes even more time to set things up. To cut a long story short, I suggest GPE if you are on Pro or Enterprise edition... if not use the Registry editor.

PS I've set mine to "ask" recently. Before, things like this happened to me way to often:
    Meeting is about to start, I power on my laptop and I see the fraking message "Windows is settings things up"... yeah perfect timing Microsoft. Oh and I love when a long meeting ends and I get the "Windows is fraking around, don't you dare shut me down now!"... so instead of heading home I'm waiting for Microsoft to organize my time :rolleyes:.

10. RAL

RAL Board Veteran

Players when they buy a new pc of there choice or update or upgrade always seam to think that the pc knows what's best for them..
    Then when they update things it goes "BONK!"..
    This is what I tell people when they set up a new pc or update what they have..

ALWAYS !!! Read what 's on the screen. Never take it for granted and the same for updates. Take the time and read it all. You will find that the manufacture will sneak in things you don't need as so with updates. Just because you set it to let windows update only important updates does not mean you really need them..READ..READ..READ what's on the screen..
    Also when you install updates or programs you pick what you need because they will sneak in there browsers and spam junk you don't need or want..

AWLAYS set up a restore point before any update or upgrade to your pc and it's op system. This is to make thing's much easier for when you have issues with what was done and role the pc back to when it was good...always create a restore point at least once a month..
    Never let programs tell you what's best for you..HOW THE HELL DO THEY KNOW ??? you pick what's best for you...
    One other thing I tell everyone with a new pc or old one..MAKE RESTORE DISKS..NOT ONE SET BUT A FEW( 3 work well) just in case they get lost or damaged AND make sure you put them in a hard case or paper sleeves so they don't get messed up from damage ..
    BACK UP your pc on a external hard drive(BUT MAKE START UP DISKS AND THE BACK UP DRIVE)pc also it makes for a great repair tool or just to take the hard drive to MA'S house to show her all your cool pictures you took...
    Go into your driver settings and you update them from time to time..this keeps your pc running smooth..same thing with all your programs you have..update then to keep them up to date so there wont be any issues..

ALSO go to your hard wear store or local store and BUY a plastic shoe box container and put all your pc disks and back up hard drive and all them cables you seam to have into ONE container..and put a set of restore disks near the pc so you don't mess the 3 set's you made ..
    and THEN THERES YOUR VIRUS SOFTWEAR..Make sure you READ what it's doing..go into it and see what's it's doing and when it will scan and update it's soft wear...many people when there using their pc will all of a sudden go what the hell..my pc is lagging or wont function as it should..that's because you didn't read or explore your virus settings and it's running in the back ground updating or scanning as you play..YOU pick the time it scans and updates and also always go back from time to time and re check the settings..

AND never listen to your pal's when they tell you LEAVE THE PC ON AT ALL TIMES...this is the worst thing you can do with a pc..it will update,scan, and also makes it much easier for HACKERS to get into your pc while your away or sleeping...SO TURN THE DAM THING OFF..

11. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Active Author

you forgot SeaMonkey! Sea monkey is the only browser the lets you play the game on still, btw (for you mac users)

SixSixSeven likes this.
  12. SixSixSeven

Hopefully this works, went through the Registry a couple weeks after getting Win10 but the article I read then had the entry as:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Policies\Windows

Pretty sure that's why it wasn't working, haha.
    That's not how Win10 updates work (by default) and there are no longer "important" updates. Just updates.
    It's the video drivers getting updated that's causing the problems. Sometimes the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" axiom applies.
    But under no circumstances ever take off your tinfoil hat!

[​IMG]

p.s. joking, joking - just wanted to post this slow-loading pic.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    booogie likes this.
  13. CallienteMami

CallienteMami Count Count

[​IMG]
    I feel sorry...for the poor cat.
    (And I'm not joking)

SixSixSeven likes this.
  14. Hardstick

Hardstick Exceptional Talent

Ah. I think it does. That's exactly the error window that comes up, and when I removed Chrome I didn't make any browser default.

And I use Windows 7 for preference (don't judge me).

A lot of people like Chrome, but I don't. It uses WAY too much processor power for my liking. I like to play games like Skyrim with high-level graphics on, and Chrome turns them into slideshows.

EDIT: Setting default browser. That did it! Thanks Bio!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Biohazard likes this.
  15. booogie

booogie Board Veteran

Hackers can only hack when a door has been opened for them.

A good router and basic common sense "don't download something you shouldn't"

I left my mac on 24/7 for about 3 years running behind a firewall, AV and router. If they can't find your ip addy (assuming you are not a dumb ass and installed something to let them get it) then you are pretty bullet proof behind a router.

Ask any car mechanic the most damage done to an engine is shutting it off and starting it. Same with a computer ..

SixSixSeven likes this.
  16. RAL

RAL Board Veteran

I was a SENIOR MASTER CERTIFIED TECH for 35 years..your mechanic is wrong...But if you google should I leave the pc on or off you'll find things like this..
    Computers

If you wonder when you should turn off your personal computer for energy savings, here are some general guidelines to help you make that decision.
    Though there is a small surge in energy when a computer starts up, this small amount of energy is still less than the energy used when a computer is running for long periods of time. Spending a large portion of time in low-power mode not only saves energy but helps equipment run cooler and last longer.
    One misconception, carried over from the days of older mainframe computers, is that equipment lasts longer if it is never turned off.For energy savings and convenience, consider the following guidelines:
    • Turn off the monitor if you aren't going to use your PC for more than 20 minutes.
    • Turn off both the CPU and monitor if you're not going to use your PC for more than 2 hours.
    Make sure your monitors, printers, and other accessories are on a power strip/surge protector. When this equipment is not in use for extended periods, turn off the switch on the power strip to prevent them from drawing power even when shut off. If you don't use a power strip, unplug extra equipment when it's not in use.
    Most PCs reach the end of their "useful" life due to advances in technology long before the effects of being switched on and off multiple times have a negative impact on their service life. The less time a PC is on, the longer it will "last." PCs also produce heat, so turning them off reduces building cooling loads.
    ENERGY STAR-labeled computers use 30%-65% less energy than computers without this designation, depending on usage. Consider buying a laptop for your next computer upgrade; laptops use much less energy than desktop computers.

17. booogie

booogie Board Veteran

Using google... I am sure you can do 10 different searches and find 10 different answers. So lets throw that out the door.

I am not going to argue with you, logic and common sense is what I use.

btw I am a senior master logic and common sense certified tech for 30 years. (I refuse to use caps locks)

18. ToWaSc

ToWaSc Forum Demigod

Mosaic is too busy for you?

booogie and SixSixSeven like this.
  19. SixSixSeven

That entry's about energy savings, esp. in office environments, not wear and tear.

Turning a PC on/off once a day won't take life off the hardware (which is caused by thermal expansion/contraction) but leaving it on won't harm it either and might extend its life a tad if you keep PCs for longer than 6 years (which I do.) But most computers these days are designed to be left on 24/7 (the Interwebz never sleep.)

Cycling the power a lot (like 10 or more times per day) isn't recommended, but I kinda doubt anyone does that.
    Donut worries! Teh kitteh will be okai! He iz just annoy at derr alien signalz!
    Doesn't play BSGO!!!1!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    booogie likes this.
  20. booogie

booogie Board Veteran

oh and as for the car engine, they have ran tests (you can google it) and a car that is started and never shut off (idling) sitting beside the same car that is shut on and off 5-10 times a day will last longer.

But as a "SENIOR MASTER CERTIFIED TECH" I am sure you assisted in the research.

Jim_Calvert and CallienteMami like this.