Question for BP on the subject of intellectual property

Discussion in 'Questions & Bug Reports' started by warhrs71, Sep 10, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. warhrs71

warhrs71 Forum-Apprentice

To Whom it May Concern,

A few years ago, I wrote a work of fan fiction for Battlestar Galactica that involved subject matter for this game. I started the work in 2011, finished it in 2014.

I would like to actually try publishing this work via Amazon, but before I do, I feel like it would be a wise move to approach your company and obtain permission to do so. I am unaware as to the depth/breadth of BigPoint's copyright where intellectual property is concerned, and it feels like the right move to make sure I actually have permission to publish something that involves aspects of this game as well as the show.

Can I engage you in a discussion on this? I'd like to start a career as a sci-fi writer, but I fear I would be getting off to the wrong start if I didn't properly get this permission and acknowledge BP's IP in this.

Hoping to hear back soon. Thank you!

v/r
    WBQ

EUMOISES and Stormseeker like this.
  2. TheNorwegianViking

TheNorwegianViking Forum Pro

Hey, I don`t think anyone from BigPoint actually reads these forums unfortunately, but have you tried sending your questions directly to support? That may be an alternative and hopefully they can connect you to their legal department. Another option would be to contact the Hamburg office directly.

As an eager sci-fi reader, and ofcourse as a huge fan of Battlestar Galactica, I would love to get more Battlestar fiction to delve into, I wish you all the best and good luck on your publishing!

Stormseeker likes this.
  3. ToWaSc

ToWaSc Forum Demigod

I believe that NBCUniversal holds the rights to BSG. You might want to secure an agent/editor to help you navigate the IP maze. Or, see if there is publisher already putting out BSG novels and contact them.

4. Stormseeker

Stormseeker Emperor of the Forum

If it also involves story elements specific to the game he'd probably need both.

5. WaderHun

WaderHun Forum-Apprentice

In these situation its a good news if you create a story to this game, this novella is a good base to the game story event. Because actually in the game has no story and no event.

ingame Nexus and FID is not story, only some PewPewPew.

In game missing the story, and i think not bad if its available only in English text, its a good practice to learn English. A new part of the game some readable content, with true story.

But you need use simply words that all user (include my) can read, with poor English knowledge.

6. warhrs71

Think I'll try that. I'll reach out to support---I don't know how to contact the Hamburg legal office directly. Was hoping that maybe some forum mod would see this and reach out for me, because I'm just a player and don't have the kind of traction it would take to get somebody to notice. (not even a really current player either---haven't played consistently in about 3-4 years) As for Universal/SyFy...geez, that's a whole new can of worms. If I can't get BigPoint to notice, I definitely won't get Universal's attention...

I had this crazy idea that I would actually try reaching out to Edward James Olmos---he's been pretty strong at the conventions. He looks like he's probably still very much in favor of continuing the saga; indeed, I begin and end my story with Adama, post-planetfall and post-fleet service. I wrote it that way because I'd seen convention videos of him saying that's where he'd like to continue the story.
    But eventually sanity took hold of me, and I realized I would just get lost in the crowd of fans that he has. I doubt seriously that he'd even notice an isolated email from one lone fan like me. I'm nobody to pay attention to.

If you're interested, I can email you a copy. Just drop me a PM. But I can't sell it to you, because that would put me in a liable position from BigPoint and Universal both.

7. warhrs71

Like this idea too. Might even be faster than trying to go it alone...

8. Stormseeker

Stormseeker Emperor of the Forum

He might not, but his agent (or rather agent's intern) probably would. I have a hunch though that EJO probably does read all his fan mail, even if he doesn't reply. He strikes me as the sort of guy who's good like that.

I'd love to read it, but you can't send PM's on the forums. If you see me in game, let me know and I'll give you my email.

SixSixSeven likes this.
  9. Forseti

Forseti Board Administrator Team BSGO

For this you will have to contact Bigpoint's legal department. Tobias is the Lead Designer and in no way has the authority to give you permission for what you seek. He would just instruct you to submit a Support ticket and/or talk to the BP legal department.

Bigpoint Legal Information:
    https://legal.bigpoint.com

As Battlestar Galactica is owned by NBC Universal, you'll more than likely need their permission as well if you're going to use the BSG name(s).

NBC Universal Contact Us:
    http://www.nbcuniversal.com/contact-us

*As this is the original thread, I'm going to remove the new one you created. Not much sense to just merge it.

SixSixSeven and Stormseeker like this.
  10. warhrs71

Thank you Forseti! This is actually quite helpful and I will proceed accordingly. :)

Stormseeker likes this.