1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Art of the Escape: Surviving in Dark Orbit

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Wirwerdenniesosein, Sep 30, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Updated 1 October 2019

Hello all,

Here is a comprehensive
    guide on how to escape from UFEs. Players of all levels will learn something new within this post. Enjoy

Generators: It may be difficult to equal to an UFE in terms of shield, HP, or damage considering all the factors that can be stacked to increase either of the three. However, one can easily become UFE in Dark Orbit in terms of speed. The first thing all new players need right away are a full set of G3N-7900 speed generators. You can obtain a full set of these for little contest on the auction.

Promerium: You only need to send 12 of these rocks to your ship via the Skylab to recieve two hours of boosted generators. There is no excuse to not have boosted speed generators. In addition to using a decent ship, such as a Vengeance, this will make you just as fast--if not faster, than the majority of UFE players.

Playing Dead: Shooting back at a pursuer will give them the satisfaction of a fight. Running to a portal gives them the satisfaction of a chase. Just sit there and give up if you have no chance of escape. When players cease to get any satisfaction out of you; they will realize they're just wasting their ammo and time.

[REMOVED]

Ship Diameter (mm) and the Time-to-Click Ratio: There are two factors to decide which ship is the best for surviving; you want both the smallest and the fastest ship combination possible. The Leonov is the best option for new players, because it has a 26 mm diameter and has a 504 maximum speed. Therefore, the Leonov is the hardest ship to click on, making it more difficult to enemies to lock onto you.

Optimal Ships: The V-Lightning is optimal for surviving in Dark Orbit. The V-Lightning has an afterburner ability--it negates the effect of hitting a slowdown mine, DCR, or ice rocket, and negates the effects of an infection for the duration of the ability. This ability is a guaranteed escape from the majority of PvP situations. You can easily obtain this ship through the assembly or by the auction.

NPC Abilities: Fly slightly outside a mordon's range--if you're lucky, then your pursuer will get DCR'd by the mordon while you make an escape.

Jump CPU II: The Jump CPU II will teleport you back to your x-1 map. If you're on a battle map or running to the corner of a map with no escape portal in sight, you can use this anywhere (except pirate maps) after you've been out of fight for a certain period. You can bid on the Jump CPU II on the auction with little contest.

Maneuvering, Lag, & Fireworks: If you have mad clicking skills, you can juke-out whoever is following you by clicking in the opposite direction your pursuer is clicking in. Add in some lag to the mix, and you can juke-out the majority of people in this game without using any abilities or special items. If you're one of the unlucky few who has the curse of no lag in this game, don't feel bad, you can create your own. If you have some left-over fireworks from the 4th of July event, then equip the fireworks to your hotkeys, and quickly place one firework down while also pressing on the detonate key. When you're trying to out-maneuver your pursuer you can spam fireworks to create enough lag to get away. If your pursuer also has their in-game sounds on, they're in for a loud surprise that'll also scramble their brain--enjoy yourself.

Pilot Bio: You only need to get 6 pilot points to have the best pilot bio for surviving--and that cost under 70,000 Uridium and takes only two weeks worth of quests at the most. Put one skill in Ship Hull I, then the last 5 in Explosives. Explosives will increase the radius of your mine explosions by 25%. Shield Mechanics, Ship Hull I & II, Evasive Maneuvers, and Shield Engineering are all extremely important to have, but don't be tempted by the common belief that those are the best pilot skills to survive. If you've already got them, you're probably still wondering why that 25% extra shields and extra HP doesn't help in your encounter with UFEs, so go ahead and reset your bio right now. For new and even seasoned players, Explosives is far more important if you simply want to survive. Read below to find out why.

Slowdown Mines: You can buy 10 slowdown mines for 500 Uridium, the same cost as one EMP. This is a great deal, and its better than using an EMP, which doesn't even promise a clean escape from a UFE because they'll just re-lock you. When you're being chased, fly in a straight line and drop one a slow mine. An alternative option is not moving, dropping a slow mine, wait one second, then running in the opposite direction of whoever is shooting you. If enough distance is between you and your pursuer when you drop the mine, then either they'll hit the mine and be slowed, or they'll evade the mine thus creating more distance between you two. If you're being chased by a pack of UFEs, then by having 5/5 Points in the Explosives skill, it'll only take one pursuer to hit that mine for the whole pack to be slowed from the increased splash effect.

PIB Laser Ammo: I recommend only buying 100 rounds of this expensive ammo to begin. Be sure to only equip one laser gun to your running configuration, so that when you fire you'll literally only be using 1 shot of ammo per volley. When you fire on your pursuer with this ammo you will infect them, thus slowing them.

Star Formation: If you have evasive maneuvers II, then buy the Star formation before you get any other formation, the extra 5% evasion bonus is far more useful than whatever extra shield or HP you get using an alternative formation.

Wheel Formation: The wheel formation is the best formation to have to survive. Don't be tempted into the gimmick that you need more shields to survive in Dark Orbit... Do not buy the Heart or Ring formation, the extra shield and HP they give you is insignificant in an encounter with an UFE that may hit 250,000+ with RSB alone.

EMP/Cloak and DCR Rockets: The EMP, DCR, and Cloak item all cost 500 U. in the shop, and using them in any combination is self-explanatory. Using any combination of the three is not a cost-effective method at surviving--so I won't touch on them.
    I hope some of you have learned something new. Please share with your buddies who are considering quitting the game, to your clan. If you are fluent in another language then please consider translating and posting this into another non-English Dark Orbit forum. If anything new comes to my mind, or if my grammar is off, then I'll further edit the post.

Take care,

Last edited by moderator: Oct 2, 2019
    Bakjam, cupu.gan~thd1, b-69 and 9 others like this.
  2. BestGArenEUW

BestGArenEUW Forum Baron

Good guide, the interactions with the lags sound interesting.

Selfish trick: you can use EMP and/or run into a cloud of other players. Perhaps your chasing hunter will choose another, weaker target.

Wirwerdenniesosein likes this.
  3. USSCoralSeaCV43

USSCoralSeaCV43 Forum-Apprentice

A very nice line of instructions/ guides for our newer players to be more competitive / survivable, Wirwerdenniesosein.
    I like seeing veteran players sharing experience insight instead of sarcasm :)

thor714 likes this.
  4. STARLIGHTHUSTLE

STARLIGHTHUSTLE Forum Master

Enjoyed reading this post . TY

5. Bump

Edited the post for an easier read, and added several new ideas.

Bakjam likes this.
  6. -axl100-

-axl100- Forum-Apprentice

Repairs at the base are free now. Just saying :p

USA|Czerka likes this.
  7. Bakjam

Bakjam Exceptional Talent

Excellent job!