1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion Allow all Wilderness Areas to Scale

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Aslandroth, Sep 2, 2019.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Aslandroth

Aslandroth Advanced

How much time do you spend in the Great Desert?

It is a great place to farm your glyphs and gold, your gold lines and the occasional platinum, as well as Keys of Prowess. Functionally it is a great map with a ton of replay value. I realize some will come and say "Only n00bs farm the desert" etc but I think its fair to say that most of us spend a good deal of time here on a regular basis.

To that end I would l propose allowing ALL wilderness areas to scale, and adding a re-spawning boss with the same difficulty scale as the desert. The development effort here would be minimal for a pretty substantial payoff in terms of player enjoyment.

Since we spend so much time grinding over and over and over again, wouldn't it be nice if we could choose the map we are doing it in? The older wilderness maps already exist and some of them are absolutely beautiful. I'd love a reason to go back and play them some more.

2. sargon234

sargon234 Forum Ambassador

the desert is not a wilderness, it's a dungeon

3. ΣMiwel

ΣMiwel Forum Baron

They could add to every wilderness map some scaling dungeon higher modes, working like the great desert... I have an idea of a difficulty revamp that it would work well with, I'll post it somewhen.

4. Aslandroth

Aslandroth Advanced

That response seems to be one of semantics. When farming that garbage for the Solstice event (IDK carrots or snow essence, I don't remember) it says you can find it in all wilderness areas, and it happens to show up in the desert if I recall correctly.

In any case, do you see the point I am trying to make? If all the wilderness areas could scale, have select-able difficulty, and a re-spawning boss, it would mix things up again. There are times when one needs to run around and around and around the desert, or farm keys of prowess. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to do that on more than just one map?

5. dkarl

dkarl Forum Connoisseur

You're essentially asking that all scaling maps have continuously respawning mobs and sentinels, so you can wander around in circles killing mobs while waiting for the sentinel to respawn. (In one sense, they already do respawn endlessly: Kill the sentinel, open the chest, click on the rune stone to immediately re-enter.) But how many maps have that kind of pseudo-circular layout, which accommodate both the flow of slaughter, and the space to maneuver around the sentinel without getting jammed in a corridor?

Rootrock Cavern (too small); Stonekeep (though there are too many hedges and cul-de-sacs which make dancing around the sentinel awkward); Tegan's Sanctuary; Spiky Valley? Where else, without having to re-design the entire dungeon?

6. Phyrix

Phyrix Forum Duke

+1 for me I have wanted this before and asked for it

7. ΣMiwel

ΣMiwel Forum Baron

He doesn't mean any of those.

He wants desert-like mechanics with modes on wilderness maps, like Nahuatlan, Torstrond, Heart of Atlantis, Thunder Crest.

That's because the Great Desert was designed as a wilderness map, but they decided to make it a dungeon eventually, perhaps because people were complaining about other players stealing kills in open maps... or for some other reason.

8. dkarl

dkarl Forum Connoisseur

But, again, he needs a sentinel to farm keys; and I assume he doesn't want to jockey for a place in line with a dozen other toons trying to kill the sentinel at the same time; so the wilderness would have to have a mirrored version that had dungeon-like properties. Without messing up the mechanics of the Normal-mode wilderness itself so that it could still be used by new players for quests.

Why, when there are a couple dozen scaling dungeons already available to farm for keys (and other things)?

Suggest that the devs create new content, including another purposely designed Great Desert-like dungeon with infinitely respawning mobs & sentinel, instead. That way newcomers still have a clean experience, and he gets his variety.

Don't mess up the leveling game, or you'll have no new players to replace the nearly depleted ranks of the old players.

9. Aslandroth

Aslandroth Advanced

He wants desert-like mechanics with modes on wilderness maps, like Nahuatlan, Torstrond, Heart of Atlantis, Thunder Crest"

^^^^ This

I am not saying the "normal" mod needs to change. Leave it to do quests and to behave just as it does now. It won't mess with levelling or anything. You make it sound like I am asking for some huge undertaking when that is simply not the case. I like those old maps and loved the fact that I could stay in them for a longer time than a non wilderness map. I don't really care if they are circular or not, but even if they were chaned, the coding for this is not extensive. Look at what they did with the new moon and FBI maps. Do you think this was some grand undertaking, or really just an hour worth of coding by a developer. The underlying architecture is already in place, and the only thing required would be a few new sentinels.

To your point about suggesting the devs create new content including a new purposely designed Great Desert-like dungeon, yes, that would be better. But I am merely making a small suggestion; a feature request. Generating new content should be part of the long term roadmap anyways and I am talking something they could whip up quickly. If you think that what I am asking for is somehow complicated, then surely you must realize there's NEVER going to be any real new content right?

dkarl likes this.
  10. Javah

Javah Regular

Right. And hopeless at all.

11. dkarl

dkarl Forum Connoisseur

I hope I'm not coming across as combative, I just have less faith in the devs than you do :) … literally every release has at least one hotfix, some of which are minor, some of which are crippling in certain ways (apparently the PVP season progress is broken again); I'd just hate for this to go sideways and blow up Normal activity … if a wilderness goes out of commission for a few days or weeks, how many new users will run into that nebula error and give up on the game?

I'm not against your idea in principle, but I do have trepidations about the outcome.

And, no, I'm not naïve … all signs have been pointing to the demise of the game for some time, with "new" features apparently designed to squeeze a few last dollars out of the shrinking player base. I don't actually expect new content.