Chat Filtration

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by scmn, Feb 5, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scmn

scmn Forum Apprentice

I've noticed that there's an attempt to filter foul language out of the game, but to little avail, words and terms that could be considered highly offensive are still easily used, if this is a growing problem then it still definitely needs addressing with stronger filters

2. -SirMadMan-

-SirMadMan- Someday Author

No, it does not. Many words which could be deemed "offensive" in one language are not offensive in another. Tagalog is one example. Quite a few of their common words are filtered out because they are similar to "offensive" words in other languages. Also some players are sensitive little bunnies and choose to feel "offended" at the drop of a hat, whereas others have taken their cup of cement and hardened up. The most logical solution would be for the filter to be user-side and customisable. Devastated when someone calls you a "noob"? Block that mean word. Go into melt-down phase when someone says "Your mother"? Blank out that phrase too. Suffer from grand mal seizures at the very sight of the word "boobies"? Squish that bad-boy!

3. scmn

scmn Forum Apprentice

now that's a good idea too, i'm not worried about it myself but it seems like something they might've been concerned with or else they wouldn't have bothered to put a filter in at all, and i'm not talking boobies and your mother and such things as that, i'm talking about real curse words adults use in violence, i'm not mentioning them specifically because i don't exactly want a warning from the game team but you get where i'm going with this, true cursing words aren't filtered efficiently and if that's something they find is an issue then it's something that should be concerning

4. -SirMadMan-

-SirMadMan- Someday Author

I know what you mean. There are 101 ways around the chat filter. "Naughty" words don't bother me until they're strong enough to melt paint. No, not even then - I just add them to my vocab :D But some do seem to get genuinely upset over minor "insults" and "offensive" language. Again, because of the range of people's (in-)tolerances, I'd prefer to see the filter customisable by the user so that the ability - and the onus - is for them to block what makes their eyes widen.
    The other issue with the filter is that a lot of unusual words - and even numbers - get filtered out. I really don't know why for some. I'm guessing obscure slang in some language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.