Suggestion Classes & Elemental resistance

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Akageshi, Dec 7, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
?

Should different elemental resistance values matter more than now?

1. Yes, in the way described.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Yes, but in a different way than how it's described.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. No.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

Introduction & motivation

As you all know, we have 5 different resistances to: fire, poison, ice, lightning, and andermagic.

The thing is, they behave pretty much as one. All diamonds grant the same bonus to all resistances. All resist enchantments as well. The only thing that increases one particular resistance, is unique equipment/set bonuses, like the one on the Q4 set, or Q5 set that increase your resistance to lightning and andermagic.

These bonuses, are no big deal, though. For example I have a +960 and +10% bonus against lightning which only increases my lightning resistance by about 2200, and that basically means a few % points increment. I don't notice I'm more resistant to lightning...

Another point is that different classes are the same in regard to elemental resistance. I mean, unless you're using a unique item or set, all your elemental resistances are equal whether you're a knight or ranger or any other class.

Elemental resistances

Let's use this some more:

[​IMG]

Each class will be, by default, more resistant to one element, and more susceptible to its opposite, according to the image above ^ in the following way:

@ = significantly more resistant
    @ = significantly more susceptible

fireicepoisonlightningandermagic
    DK@@
    SW@@
    RA@@
    SM@@

This way, elemental monsters would pose a much bigger threat if you encountered one of the @ element.

You would also want to compensate for your lacking resistance. But how?

Elemental Essences (or just "some elemental crafting items")

Elemental monsters will drop corresponding elemental essences (or something like that).

You can use them in crafting:

A diamond can be combined with a certain number of these essences/items in order to make an elemental diamond.

For example, a fire essence/item + a diamond will make a flaming diamond.
    This will grant more resistance to fire, but it will grant less resistance to lightning, exactly according to the image ^. Refer to the table below:

@ = + 30% resistance of a diamond.
    @ = - 10% resistance of a diamond.
    The % values are arbitrary. This would require thorough calculations, I suppose.

fireicepoisonlightning
    flaming diamond@@
    frosty diamond@@
    venomous diamond@@
    electric diamond@@
    The point is, a diamond stained with one element will grant more resistance to that element, but another element is opposing it, so that diamond will increase resistance to the opposing element a little less than a normal diamond.

Using the arbitrary % values mentioned above:

Polished Diamond (+60 all resist. values) + fire essences -> Flaming Polished Diamond:

fireicepoisonlightning
    Flaming Polished Diamond+78+60+60+54
    It will be possible to remove the elemental effect from diamonds.

It will be possible to make the elemental diamonds stronger. Possible options are:

a/ Elemental diamond is combined with much more elemental essences/items, or
    b/ Elemental essences/items are combined with some other items, and the result is combined with the elemental diamond.

EDIT:

Perhaps there should be even more to resistances. Something like this:

• Higher fire resist -> shorter burn time.
    • Higher poison resist -> shorter poison effect time AND you're being less slowed down when walking through pools of spilled poison.
    • and similar additional effects for the rest of the elements...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    KingKrazy1 likes this.
  2. heror

heror Forum Baron

I dont get your concept its just adding somt to make the gameplay harded but in return i dont get what is the plus its cluncky and just not really beneficial just some strange strech that just exists there.
    In my opinion SW should be god damn immune to all elementals except dark, because he is elementalist and dark is the natural enemy.
    While DKs just get more armor but less resistance from items smt like that

piteris2 likes this.
  3. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

Look, I'm just trying to give some purpose to the 5 different resistance values. At the moment we could easily have just 1 resistance stat and no one would notice the difference.
    Even if you're using a set that increases one particular resistance value, like Bearach's set, the difference is small.

I'm using the rock-paper-scissors element system that was introduced to the game a while ago, and that is used when a character attacks an elemental monster with an elemental attack. I'm just applying it to character resistance.

As of now, we treat all elemental monsters almost the same way. Who cares if it's a lightning monster or a fire monster? - You just do have or don't have enough all-resistance value.

EDIT: I've added a poll.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. piteris2

piteris2 Regular

Nice idea and I appreciate your creativity and effort put into this. However I feel that this needlessly over-complicates the game more than is needed right now. The devs are currently in the process of screwing up PvE even more with these bugged secret lairs so your suggestion seems unnecessary.

That’s not to say that I don’t like your idea. Many other MMORPGs have similar mechanics which work well. Remember though that BP don’t have the mental capacity or programming capabilities which would allow them to:

a) understand the complexities behind your idea and,

b) implement it in a bug-free manner.

With regards to player made suggestions, they’ve screwed up before, they’re screwing up now and they’ll probably continue screwing up in the future.

5. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

Thank you for not dismissing the idea right away ^^

However, I have to disagree - I don't think it's overly complicated. In fact, it could've been explained in a simpler way, I guess, but I thought it'd be better to describe it in detail. So it may look like it's complicated.

In this post devs said they wanted to build on the rock-paper-scissors logic in near future. They also said they'd like to give all classes more ways to deal different elemental damage, so for example Rangers would not be only poison connected in their skills.

That actually seems to me as a more complicated and harder to do task. I'm not suggesting any new mechanics, really. It's pretty much all about numbers.
    First, an adjustment of each class' resistance values. It's a value tweak, no big deal in terms of game design.
    Then, an implementation of diamonds with an elemental power. So diamonds would have the potential to increase each of the 5 resistance values by a different number, rather than all values by the same one number. But that's clear from the original post...

In fact, like I said in the OP, there already are items that increase one elemental resistance only. Some Q sets for example. The mechanic is there already. But it's quite insignificant. I wanted to make it matter.

Also, it's already in the game that elemental monsters and bosses have different elemental resistances. I'm simply suggesting that the same thing is applied to characters as well.

Please_enter_a_name and piteris2 like this.
  6. silverseas

silverseas Count Count

I'm still pissed that SW is the hardest impacted by this elemental resistance change BS, so if the suggestion is to share the elemental resistance misery across all classes? Sign me up.

7. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

Why do we have 5 different resistance values? Either let them be 1 number, or let them matter.