Connecting the dots

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by scmn, Feb 4, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scmn

scmn Forum Apprentice

Over the years Drakensang has had lots of good and bad ideas pass through and leave scrap projects behind, and I wanna pose ideas to tie the loose ends, essentially, connecting the dots in a pattern than makes sense. Some of these ideas include basic things like identifying new equipment, it started out with having to pick up crystals of truth from monsters and each level of enchantment on that gear needed more crystals, and that's still not a bad idea, what made it hard was the number of crystals it took and the rarity of a monster dropping them. I think this idea could be revisited if only revised to a more suitable need for the players, make them drop 2, 3 at a time, and make improved items 5 crystals, magic is 10, extraordinary is 25, legendary items being 45 and then make the rarity of the drop about equal to picking up magic items.

Another thing I would do is make common items more easily found than improved or magic items, and bring them onto the same food chain as enchanted items, let plain common items be combined into improved items on the workbench. Why will people bother buying common items in the shops when they can just go kill stuff and find a complete better set in an hour or two? common items right now have no potential, make them something people can covet! and make it so there are items unique to the "common" item status that once you combine common items you get something you can't find else where, same as completing legendary sets like Splendid Durian armor, except you can find it all across the game if you're willing to look for it.

I'm finally seeing more ideas come out to address the issue of having elemental resistance properties, but still we are not truly able to deal out those elemental abilities in return, of course the wizard is based on fire ice and lightning but we shouldn't just rely on that alone. my proposal here, is ability changing essences, that don't so much change the power of damage you deal, but change the type and appearance of it, it would be pretty neat to switch to an ICE essence and summon an ICY wood wraith or Snow Wolves, and they don't have different stats other than the damage they deal is in ICE form, of course that's just an example, but it seems it would be neat to have elemental damage properties to use as well as needing elemental protection, this would make PVP fights with players waaaaay more interesting as well, if you ask me personally.

Pets, pets are a wonderful way to boost our travel speed or our damage, but what about creating a pet interface where, you can adjust various things about them? Like lets say, i wanna dye my jumpy squire green, but I want his sword red, is that an impossible idea? just giving more control to players over being able to express themselves better, in a controlled way. This could apply to mounts too. The other big thing about pets, is there should be ways to upgrade, let's take the original jumpy squire, 5% boost to travel speed, let's say at a high cost of coins, or a decent cost of andermant, we want to upgrade that ability a maximum of four times, with the highest upgrade being 12 or 14%. And on top of that let's have one or two abilities we can unlock for that jumpy squire, such as increasing attack speed, or increasing the cooldown rate for your teleport, dive, rage jump, etc the skills we use to evade and escape, just as an example.

Mounts, of course we all like to go faster when we travel, but there's a problem here as well. Some people need a reason, to go out and buy that Red Dragon mount they've always wanted, other than it just looks cool. And what I mean here is that whether i buy your common 10 gold "budget horse" as some people have started referring to it as, or if i buy the Red Dragon or the Tiger or the Steam Bike, they all go, the same speed, whether i pay 10 gold or 20 thousand andermant, so some people who would buy better mounts if there was a veritable gain for it, don't, simply because they would rather spend the 10 gold on a budget horse to go the same pace, even if it doesn't look as cool.

And now I get to an interesting idea, normally when you're running from place to place and trying to get someplace by horseback, you get hit a few times and bam your mount disappears, and you're stuck fighting the monsters. What I propose here, is to actively engage mounts better in battle, let the level of awesome determine how many abilities you can unlock for each one, what I mean to say is, get a "budget horse" and a red dragon, the budget horse has one ability, charge, and it's meant to bash through a group of enemies trying to catch you for a fight. Now the Red Dragon on the other hand, is an extraordinary mount, so give him at least 3 abilities, let's say there's Dragon Chomp, Lethal Claws, and High Glide. Dragon Chomp is a single enemy attack that deals great damage. Lethal Claws swipes at enemies and may even have a knockback feature. High Glide flies you over the group of monsters a short distance and in that time you can't be hit except by projectiles. And now to counter act all the many abilites you recieve with your mount, the drawbacks should be like, your health bar turns purple to indicate your mount's health, your healing potions apply the same way they would to your actual character, but once your health runs out, then your mount just flashes away and you're on foot to fight opponents, and there's a long cool down time before you can use your mount again. Mount health and level can be dependent on the player's level, easily.

Pets can just as easily have a lot of those same dynamics apply as well, but rather than change the original ideas of ALL pets to be combat oriented, just make new pets to have the same elements apply for their abilities as I just described with mounts. Or better yet, start a new trend we can call The Mercenary Market, and in this market, we can find temporary pets specialized with fighting abilities, make a little vampiric gnome that gives you life boosts, a mini sized skeleton warrior that just does basic damage. And their health bar functions like a wizard's Guardian's does, just mouse over them to see what kind of health is left for them. And make it so that when their health runs out, obviously they die but put it on a cooldown time, so they can regenerate endlessly, for the time alotted to what the player payed. As in, a player payed 100 gold for a skeleton pet that has 3 days on it, that skeleton endlessly dies and regenerates until the 3 days are up.

And now, not as if we don't have four fighting modes already for the battle arenas, but now just picture, if we could use elemental essences, and mercenary pets, and battle oriented mounts, during our fights in the arena, would it not be an epic war? A new battle option where you rely entirely on your mount and your pet and even mercenary pets. Same as a team death match, except you start with your mounts to fight and then eventually you're forced to fight on foot! And if you've seen my other threads, this would be another amazing attribute toward my buffer idea of mini games, having mount relay races where you race and shoot or destroy as many targets as you can until you ring a bell and tag your teammate, that would be totally great as a minigame.

The last issue I'm going to address now, is Cloaks. They were a great idea but they've seriously come to be an underrated thing that many players simply don't even finish the quests for. They're just another piece of equipment, but they're the equipment that can do the most to stylize characters and make things flashy, they're also the best suited for imbuing with elemental resistance properties. obviously such ideas as The Flame Cloak would give a base % protection from fire based attacks. It's an easy concept to reboot the use for them in a way people can really get excited about!

Dronemonger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.