Game Data Randomly Deleted?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Morinphen, Feb 13, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. Morinphen

Morinphen Forum Overlooker

I know what your first thought is and no, I haven't used or set on automatic a cache and temp. file clearing program, nor do I have any such features active from other sources, such as the OS, or something.

And yet, every 2nd to 4th login attempt I have to wait for the game to download again, and not when there's a scheduled downtime. Usually, the first time it just needs a little to download, then runs fine. But almost always, the following client starting means another, longer download time and all my custom settings are erased and I have to re-do them.

I was thinking it might be just me, but this was confirmed by one other person, while other people reported various other issues that weren't on their end. What is going on, or what am I missing here? Anyone else with similar game difficulties?

2. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

if you are using windows 10 you should check again ... because it can automatically free up space. You should turn it off.
    Also check on Windows Defender.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. Dragonnns

Dragonnns Count Count

I also find that sometimes just the settings are reset. If you keep a copy of the settings.xml file, you can copy that over to the DSO folder and not have to reset all of them. Some are character related and those will need to be reset as it seems that the file name does not stay the same.

Morinphen likes this.
  4. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

Not just you. I've been having this issue with DSO for quite a long time (even before Windows 10). With some releases it gets better and some it gets worse.

Makes no difference if I play in browser or client. Makes no difference what computer/internet settings I use. Makes no difference if I play on my PC or Mac. I am currently getting 5 to 6 log in's before everything resets.

As soon as my user name is blank when I go to log in, I know that I have to wait for everything to download again. Then reset all my custom settings, etc.

DSO is still the only game I ever had this problem with.

Some will blame windows, some will blame temp files, some will blame firewalls, some blame the computer system, some blame right wing conspiracies, but no amount of blame or opinions on what to do has changed this issue for me. It does make me play the other games more often, so that is one fix that seems to work.

5. iNeXoRaBlE

iNeXoRaBlE Forum Great Master

Me and sniper have the same problem, i will check it as well, i am using win10 so maybe its the OS,(as trakilaki noted).
    Why can't this game download the small changes like the other games? Too hard to develop a normal client that updates like 20/30 worth of stuff?

Morinphen likes this.
  6. Morinphen

EDIT: as if there weren't enough problems, I noticed recently that opening the forum after login triggers an error... so you need to log out and re-login... really don't know what they did, they performed that server restart recently with bloody sledgehammers?
    Yep, been checking and ticking off anything related to that. Any specific place in the Defender that might do it?
    Yep, precisely that way.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. iwa0428

iwa0428 Forum Greenhorn

I have the same issue on my computer:(

Morinphen likes this.
  8. daro0125

daro0125 Forum Greenhorn

Same story here unfortunately.

Morinphen likes this.
  9. trakilaki

The issue is probably on your side ... as you can see I am still having the files from over 2 years ago ... nothing is deleted.

[​IMG]

10. DocWhisky

DocWhisky Forum Mogul

Ive had the same thing happen to me. First thought it might be getting corrupted from Test Server DL's. So I isolated all TS logins, but the problem still persisted. I have even had it happen when I was logged in. Was farming and switched maps and suddenly the game was taking forever to load the map. Knew right away what happened. ( I copy my DSOClient folder every few days because of this problem ) Logged out and copied my "good" save back into the Temp folder and logged back in. Game ran like normal.

Thanks, Doc.

Morinphen likes this.
  11. Rhysingstar

As I stated, I've been told all sorts of things. It was my temp files. It was my Mac. It was my PC. It was my internet. It was my firewall. It was my Norton. It was my McAfee. It was Internet Explorer. It was a right wing conspiracy.

The only things that I have not heard in 4 years is:

1. Why is DSO the only game that this happens? Odd how this never happens with the games from the big companies.
    2. How to make it stop? All I hear is how it is on my end, yet there is never a solution that actually works.

In the big popular games if you have an issue, the support staff either fixes it or walks you through fixing it. With DSO, that rarely happens. Don't get me wrong, DSO offers the best excuses and deflects the blame better than all the rest, so I guess that is something to be proud of.

deliburan78, Bubble, semen470 and 2 others like this.
  12. EhtovK

EhtovK Old Hand

I have this error but only at my workplace, on an old kettle that runs with Windows XP and a most likely very outdated version of Chrome, never had this happening on my personal machine, which runs on 8.1, I was blaming the old browser+OS, but I'm no expert, haven't found a solution as of today, and it pre-dates the forum maintenance I can assure you.

Do you have any suggestions on where to tinker to find and prevent this from happening?, Doc's workaround is good but my guess is that there must be a way to completely avoid it.

13. Morinphen

Win10 here and up-to-date browser, so that can't be it :/.

14. Rhysingstar

I agree.

I'm still waiting on a solution that actually works. This downloading every 6th time I log in causes me to play less and less. Most days I can barely muster the desire to log in for the daily bonus, let alone spend any amount of time playing the game.

[​IMG]

Morinphen likes this.
  15. Mesala

Mesala Advanced

Try this:

1. Self-explanatory
    [​IMG]
    2. Then if you are super paranoid:
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Everything off.
    Hope it helps.
    Windows 10 "feature".

16. Rhysingstar

Yeah, I've heard that story before....

[​IMG]

This has been happening long before windows 10 and even happens on my Mac, so Windows settings are obviously not the only cause.

Nice try though.

Morinphen likes this.
  17. trakilaki

Yes I have. People should learn how to configure and maintain their OS.
    If it is of any help this is what i have :
    - Windows Ultimate ThePirateBay Edition
    - updates - disabled and turned off
    - Antivirus - not present
    - Windows Defender - disabled and locked
    - Account type - administrator
    - no CrapCleaner or similar app present - I am maintaining the files and the registries manually
    - Playing in browser - DSOClient is banned on my PC ... always keeping my anti-client kit next to my PC

semen470 likes this.
  18. Morinphen

As said, the Windows temp. file deletion things are all off. I don't see how the other stuff interfere (Defender and updates) ? Don't have an antivirus ATM either and the CCleaner I installed back to clean stuff up if this stupid thing happens every now and then anyway, even when the said program was uninstalled. Tested for the past while and played in browser... as usual, not any notable difference aside the fact that it remembers the pass and nick. The time taken to open the browser, log onto the homepage, then in the game is pretty much the same the client takes for you to enter your details and select server. And it just happened on it as well...

19. Rhysingstar

No one to date has offered any solution that actually works. When it first started, everyone blamed Windows, so I started playing on my Mac and when it happened on that machine, all of the sudden other things were blamed, like firewall, ISP, anti-virus, etc. Everything except the game itself.

I've also tried playing in browser. That makes no difference either despite which computer I use.

The fact that every other game I play/played (browser or client based) works without issue (some for more than a decade now) is even more frustrating when my computers are blamed. Why all of these games manage to work and DSO constantly needs to re-install no one can tell me.

I get that the easiest thing to do is blame the user, but even with that, I would assume that someone, somewhere should be able to point out exactly where the problem is, yet they have not.

Morinphen likes this.
  20. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

The problem with that is that there are people who don't have any issues, like myself and Trakilaki. If it were the game's fault, it would happen to everyone. The only fault of the game is the location it stores the files. By storing it in the temp directory, it exposes itself to these sorts of problems. I understand that this is likely due to the lose permissions required for storing files in the temp folder as opposed to storing them in a less transient directory, but if they had put in the necessary effort years ago, they wouldn't have this problem now.
    Simple. I bet not one of them uses the temp directory as the download location for their game files. See above.

Here is my next level of troubleshooting recommendations to isolate and confirm that this is some sort of cleaning protocol. Check what your temp folder looks like every couple days, and most importantly, immediately after you have to re-download. I'm assuming there will be much fewer folders and files after you have to re-download. That will indicate that it is indeed some sort of temp folder clearing going on in the background, and not just your DSOClient folder. I'm almost entirely positive that this is the issue.

I do not blame the user for causing the deletion of the folder, neither do I blame DSO for selecting the most convenient location for their cached files. I also don't blame the various entities that make programs that clean the temp folder on a regular basis. The users here have suggested all the simplest explanations (which will likely fix the issues for most players), but without having access to your machine, no one here can do it for your. It is a 99% chance that some program on your computer is conducting basic hard drive maintenance. You can keep complaining here, but it won't do you any good. Go through your program list and look for anything that might be able to conduct a function like this and systematically remove them before re-adding them later when they don't fix the problem.