Ghost Festival Event - 2017 Q&A thread

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Aslandroth, Oct 18, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sargon234

sargon234 Commander of the Forum

You can benefit by grouping with someone who aborts the quest, just one player per group is enough

well, this is textbook example of how not to do game design, how badly you can design a minievent

The boss needs to appear every time without a quest or not, this is nonsense, why should a boss be tied to a quest?

Last edited by moderator: Oct 27, 2017
  2. callme0216

callme0216 Padavan

Yeah figured out with clanmates, but if i were a new player how would i finish the event?
    Without boss ,and summon things how u get that much progress.

3. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

How do I get the boss spawned in the Challenge map? I got him (or her, whatever) once in my first go. And now? I've been there like 6 times since and nothing.

Wait, I know how! We have to (ab)use this "bug" from last year, right? Canceling a certain quest so the boss actually spawns every time we enter the map :3 Oh yes, I remember. I'm late though, I completed the quest and now I cannot abuse it like some other players. Now I have to enter the map 70 times, while they need to do so 20 times. I can use buffs but they are not free (amphora keys are needed or andermant), and even with buffs I cannot get as much progress as the bug abusers. ... Or is the "bug" still there, huh?
    If the "bug" is still present, I demand compensation, let's say Gwenfara's cape tier 5? Hm? Or 2000 progress points? ...
    If the "bug" is not present anymore, I say it's an absolute hell, this challenge. G R I N D F E S T of the flippin century, and I take back anything good I might have said about this event.​
    Either way, it's an ultimate scum.

4. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

That is an interesting point. Hey mods, how about an "official" answer on this? Since the mini event hasn't started on the ghost server yet, is it okay to delete the quest over and over again or could someone punish us for abusing an obvious exploit?

5. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

I mean I'm not sure if it still works.
    - But if it doesn't, it's utterly impossible to play normal (=standard) difficulty, as the average drop is 25 points / 1 round, which makes 100 runs to finish the challenge. That's insane. You can use the buff that seems to halve the number of runs needed. Still insane. Not to mention you have no chance to actually drop or buy the cape.
    - And if it does work, well, some players will complete the event easily, while others have almost no chance.
    Well yeah, but they can't do it this season. So now I expect they give some compensation to those who completed the initial quest, which prevents them from having the boss spawned repeatedly. Of course in case that the "bug" is still present - which I'm not sure yet.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  6. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Very easy ... you should read what experienced players are sharing with the rest of the community ... here http://drakensangonline.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost_Festival_II
    I made that guide more than a month ago ... later I was only doing polishing.

MademoiselleCaramel likes this.
  7. sargon234

They would be able to complete easily the event, they can group up with someone that didn't complete the quest and/or they complete the quests, then they get the repeatable quest which is the same of the first one, you just have to kill 200 mobs instead of 70 and they can reset that too
    This isn't even a bug,quests can be deactivated prior to going back to the quest giver, it's bad game design by a studio who doesn't know what they are doing. The only one guilty is BP, they didn't bother to change the minievent, in a way the resetting the quest doesn't do any harm, they could have made the boss spawn in the map, along with the other minibosses, just that without doing the quest the boss kill would not be counted, it was easy
    The more damning thing is that they didn't bother to change after one year

Akageshi likes this.
  8. trakilaki

1. there is not bug ... everything is working as intended. In both cases ... whether you solve the quest or you are canceling it ... it is not a bug it is the way it is designed to work.
    We appreciate the dev's work ... but sometimes we disagree with their proposed solution/design ... so we legally make our own choices and decisions on how we want to play the game.
    2. I know you are bitter ... but it is your fault. This workaround has been explained for more than a year ... all you had to do is read the guide.
    3. I don't allow detailing of bugs and exploits in DSO Wikia ... and certainly I don't write articles about exploiting or using bugs. As i said it is not a bug ... and i am the one who came up with this workaround and shared it with the community last year.
    All you had to do was to read the guide ... which was made more than a year ago ... and i made the guide for the new event version more than a month ago.
    http://drakensangonline.wikia.com/wiki/Ghost_Festival_II

[​IMG]

4. On a side note ... now you know why the more experienced players are disagreeing with some of the suggestions in the creative corner ... because they have more experience/knowledge and have clear vision whether the particular suggestion would be beneficial or not. :)

9. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

So basically you're saying it's a feature! Of course! Oldest excuse in game/software industry. It's not a bug, that's why I used these "". But it's not a feature either, omg.
    No, it's not a player's choice. Because the game does not tell you your options. Who the heck would ever cancel the quest, not knowing it behaves in this flippin way?! This behavior makes absolutely no sense.
    Players are not expected to read wikipedia to successfuly complete quests and events.
    In short, I do not agree. Period.

10. trakilaki

You can disagree as much as you like ...
    Neither pupils are expected to solve math problems by searching the solutions on the net ... yet the past few generations have been educated and trained by the WWW.
    [​IMG]

MademoiselleCaramel likes this.
  11. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

It's a bad design that should have been fixed. Nothing IN the game suggests that cancelling quests is the way to go.

12. Dragonnns

Dragonnns Count Count

There are lots of suggestions not IN the game. Just look at all the various ideas on crafting. You can find posts on ways to make the most efficient use of the various items from regular drops to uniques. You can find wiki articles on it too. Another example is whether to level up quickly via the Parallel Worlds or do all the quests. There is nothing in the game that suggests using one way or another. If you like doing a quest, you can always do it, and drop it before completing it, to do it again.

What you can do now is find a group where a member has the quest and tag along. A guild should be good for this.

_Baragain_ likes this.
  13. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

Ok guys, I give up. I'm never gonna admit this is alright, but it's pointless to argue.
    Even if my character wasn't involved, I'd still be angry for all those who didn't know. Players are not supposed to read any external source not to get [EDIT] over with a quest working in a tremendously stupid way.

Last edited by moderator: Oct 28, 2017
  14. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

It is bad design, indeed. But it doesn't change the reality. If you want to succeed in the game (and not suckseed) you have to follow what other ppl say. Join a guild, browse wiki guides, forum, Facebook group etc. Just learn to ask someone before you do anything - hey fella, are there any tips and tricks?

It might be wrong, but it is what it is.

And tbh, most players have been there before. Most who played this event last year did the same mistake with the quest. So those older players benefit now. You will join them next year.

_Baragain_ and Fynkz like this.
  15. sargon234

You should be grateful people like trakilaki exists, the wikia is very useful, it gives plenty of info about events and strategies, also strategies to lessen the burden of the cancerous grind of this game. This may not be a nice thing, it is certainly bad game design, why on earth avalona isn't a boss in every bossroom waiting to be butchered by the players?There are no answers, but people who played games would know that is a bad idea

What can you learn about his?Always read on the wikia about the upcoming events, you may find something interesting

16. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

EDIT

Also this in particular has nothing to do with tips and tricks. This is not about a better crafting strategy or piglet locations etc. This is all 100% wrong because you get screwed by turning in a quest that is supposed to be turned in, which is absolutely counterintuitive. Because of that, you have to spend 10 times more time grinding. The game doesn't say anything like: "By finishing this quest, you will have to do 10 more runs until you can fight the boss again", nor the game gives you hints suggesting that turning in the quest may disadvantage you. Wikipedia can say whatever it wants, it sometimes acts as a guerilla third party, sometimes as a source of official information - who knows if the DSO team actually wants us to share where exactly we should look for the piglets for example... Oh seems like I haven't given up yet, huh? I'm using DSO facebook for all the latest news, reading patchnotes, and yes! I even read the wiki here and there if I'm not sure about things - all that to keep myself and my guild informed, and here we go a scum quest that screws with you if you haven't read a secret tip on how to abuse a totally dumb game desing failure. Well thank you very much. It's a bad desing that needs to be fixed, and not to push players to find ways around it, and those with better contacts, and yet maybe even with 0% wiki knowledge will be the kings, because they were told.
    This is unfair and unlike life - games are supposed to be fair.
    I don't agree with all your attempts to make the game desing team look like they actually did it right. They didn't. Don't defend them.

17. sebastian_fl

sebastian_fl Count Count

Did you read my post at all?) My first sentence was it is bad design. No one defends the dev here. Quite the opposite, if you follow the wiki master, for instance.

But I also said it is what it is. You can accept it, reject it, do whatever you want. Unless you can change it, your only option is to follow. It is dumb, again, but that's the game you are playing.

18. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

This isn't the first time that canceling a quest benefits savvy players.

It is just like the new moon event. If you don't ever finish the quest that spawns the stone protectors, you have them on every map. Since they are mini bosses, they drop tons of blues and greens. And, since there is Shady John in that map, you can sell the greens and some of the blues, making every run much more profitable when it comes to gold.

I'll likely reiterate much of what others are saying, but here is my opinion:
    Yes, it is poor design. If anything, it should be the other way around. The first quest should be the hardest in any case and the repeatable should be easy. Think of the PWs or the moon events for examples on that. During the first play through, you need to unlock stuff and complete long quests but then everything gets really easy. Now this is a mini event, so the "first play though" should still be rather fast, but every run after that should be significantly easier.

As Trakilaki said, learn from other people's mistakes. I'd be willing to bet that this mistake in this event has taught you an important lesson about asking for advice and reading the wiki. The next big event will be the Christmas ever. I recommend that you read the wiki pages about that event (when trakilaki generously puts it together) and then you will know what you are getting yourself into.

Finally, you are raging against the fact that you can't kill the boss every run, but that is only half true. In the case of soloing, you can not do the boss every time if you play the mini as the devs intended... however, if you are playing in a team of 3-5, you will likely be able to do the boss every run by rotating your quests. This is probably what the developers were going for. In the last Dragan event, they made it harder to get the red pearls, but they let everyone benefit from their team mates pearls. If you insisted on soloing, you could still do it, but you would need to do a lot more side maps to get red pearls. In recent times the developers have been trying to emphasize the cooperative aspect of the game.
    You can also do the boss every run in as little as a group of two, if your partner was wise enough to learn about the mini before jumping right in. He or she can execute their 1/2 quest and delete it before killing the boss and then you benefit from their foresight.

19. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

That's the truth.

There are way too many instances where this game doesn't provide all the best information (the forum is full of examples). Without Trak hundreds of players would still be stuck on "through the wall" quest.

Everyone agrees that DSO should do a better job, but until they do most of us rely on Trak and the others who freely tell us what they have learned on how to get around the bad design.

I wish you the best of luck in complaining to the dev's in the hopes that they change this type of thing, but experience has taught me that they rarely care what we players like or don't like.

_Baragain_ likes this.
  20. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

Of course, I don't have to play this game if I don't like it. Ultimately, if I don't like life, I don't have to live. You know, it's not as absurd as it looks. But if you have already spent time and effort cultivating your life or your DSO character, you don't just quit that easily. So what else is there that can be done? I'm just using this forum to express my dissatisfaction, hoping that others back it up and maybe together we will achieve some change. And maybe not! But if we just sit here and write tips on wikies and write tips in guild chats on how to avoid all sorts of game design errors, we will eventually end up reading crazy tutorials on how to avoid being screwed over. In the end, gameplay tip no. 749: Don't shoot more than 38 hunting arrows in a row if you don't want your pc to explode...

Why am I raging so much? Because I want common sense to prevail.
    I don't want to offend anyone, but guys, all that you suggest that should be done about it, is just putting patches on a fundamentally broken event loop. To read wikies and ask others in game and do this and that, it's all us adapting to something that works in an absurd way.

I appreciate all the hard work putting together all the info on the wiki, just to make it clear. But I just can't put up with a system that punishes players so hard for doing something wrong in the very beginning, while this "wrong thing" is wrong just because it's a design fail, because in any normal situation it would have been the right thing.

And now prehaps I should stop playing DSO for good, since apparently there is no will among you folks to actually admit there's something wrong. Because if some of you say: "Well of course it's a bad design", yet at the same time you say something like: "you just have to read stuff beforehand and study the wiki and ask players and so on", then you have not yet fully admitted something is really wrong, because you basically legitimize the errors by offering various, somewhat temporary workarounds.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.