Returning player looking for gear ideas

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by 9ndrei, Sep 13, 2016.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9ndrei

9ndrei Forum Expert

Hi,

As the title says, I'm a returning player. I see quite a few things have changed. Some good, some bad and some worse. Back to the point. I'm a Spelweaver (currently lvl46) and looking for some fashion ideas - like what's the best gear I can aim for (I'll probably settle for the second best gear since the best one will surely need a lot, lot etc. of grinding).

This is what I'd like to keep:

- Witch chaser set (I'm a maniac for attack speed)
    - One handed weapon (probably because I'm a maniac for attack speed)

If someone has a lot of experience and a bit of time to lend a hand, I'd mainly like to know:

• What's the gear I should aim for (I'll reach lvl50)?
    • What's the second best gear I can get?
    Right now I have:

- Two Rings of Death
    - Witch Chaser Set
    - Staff of End Time
    - Grimmag's Lost Amulet
    - Cloak of Power
    - the rest are legendary

I got quite a few sets in my inventory (e.g. Black Warlord Regalia (tier 3) set, Sargon's Immortal Terror Armor set, etc.) but I've yet to find a good combination.

Please make your suggestions for lvl50, if possible.

Thank you,
    Andrei

2. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

Welcome back, but the truth is that, outside of PvP, there is very little use of 1H SWs anymore. With the changes to the knowledge system, the introduction of the new crafting mechanic, and several new gear sets, a 2H build is way more capable than a 1H build. Much of this was made possible by Frost Sphere, which is a high damage, speed independent attack.

I can't make any solid recommendations for a 1H SW, but there are plenty of strong 2H builds if you change your mind.

3. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

1. RoD now has 3 tiers
    2. Witch Chaser Set is not so useful anymore considering the other options you have. Moreover you should get familiar with the new New Moon Event ... you can't get that set that easy anymore ... not just that set but all sets. If you can't get that set easy ... you should upgrade your old one ... which is not a wise move.
    3. EoT weapons are long time outdated. You can craft your legendary weapon with any stats you like.
    4. All cube sets are outdated and not worth keeping (except for the achievement or as a gem holders)
    5. Cloak of Power is still good ... but you might want to check those 2 new cloaks from New Moon.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    _Baragain_ likes this.
  4. Heaven

Heaven Junior Expert

Hey man. Just like you, I recently came back (one week ago) and I also used to love having lots of speed, in fact, our gear choices were almost the same. I decided to stick to it for the first few levels, but when I hit 48 and unlocked the stronger skills from Frozen Sphere, it really became illogical to stay with a one handed weapon. FS does the most damage by far (amazing AoE damage, mana regen, slows) as it is basically like an spammable lightning strike and doesn't have any speed breakpoints, which means having extra speed will not make it shoot any faster. Giving up on your speed feels bad, sure, but the difference in your actual DPS between using FS and a lightning/whatever set up is too great to not take advantage of, and it even makes you forget about the slower attack animation. You should give it a try, as it is a must for PvE nowadays anyway.

I haven't been back for long enough to know the best gear for SWs, but I am thinking of a combination of set of the darkness (Dark set but at level 50) with dragans (when/if I finish the last two tier 2 capes I need for the set)/witchslayer until I can get my hands on some better legendaries - which drop more often in Fatal mode, but it's a struggle for a returning player like me to get a group for it.

Once you hit 50, if you have enough inventory space you should start saving up materials to take advantage of the new crafting system. You can greatly improve your DPS if you manage to craft some good critical/CD left hand accessories. It requires a lot of time and pacience, but unlike in the past, you can actually have steady progress towards a good item instead of having to rely completely on luck and being against the chances of never actually getting that item you wanted.

I strongly advise you to read the countless posts made from Baragain, even if they are mostly suggestions for DK players, you can still use that knowledge and apply it to a SW.

Belei likes this.
  5. _Baragain_

Good luck. The Black Warlord set was retired and is now only available from Gnob when it is on sale (which is really rare). It was replaced by the Bellicose set which is helmet/gloves/boots and at Tier 3 offers 40% 2H damage, but at the cost of flexibility and some of the defense of the Black Warlord set.

Right now, for a 2H SW, I'd recommend one of the following:

4/5 Darkness with a % damage torso and lots of good legendaries on the left hand side
    3/5 darkness with a % damage torso and a mix of the Twin Queen's set in boots/decoration/cape
    Black Warlord with a % damage torso, a mix of the Twin Queen's set in boots/decoration/cape

Some SWs prefer Grimmag's robe to a % damage torso. You have less damage, but you can spam Frost Sphere more and can do better damage due to having more attacks before running out of mana.

For PvE, another good choice is the Grimag PW set if you can get it on T3 since it has awesome crit and can make destruction deadly in PWs.

If you are set on a 1H build, then I'd recommend a mix of Darkness, % damage torso, Twin Queen's. You will have more armor, better crit, and significantly improved damage over the Witch Chaser set. When it comes to PWs sets, if you can get the Heredur set, you can make a deadly PvP 1H defensive build. With the helm having 20% crit and 10% crit damage, and the ball being an impressive defensive item, you can build a SW who has good damage, decent crit, and impressive defenses. I don't see it very often in PvP, but when I do, I know that I have my work cut out for me because it is tough to kill them, but they are able to whittle my HP away while I try. Too often, people are so obsessed with the DPS number that they forget that sometimes a strong defense is just as valuable as a strong offense.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Belei likes this.
  6. Heaven

Heaven Junior Expert

If I remember correctly, they brought back Sargon's set when it was popular after having taken it out. I'm trying to hope they do the same here :D And if they don't, I'm so early into my build that I could basically turn it into anything depending on what becomes available to me first. (I made the huge mistake of rage buying a lot of powerful witch hunter sets before quitting lol, all those drakens would have helped a lot today :()

7. Morinphen

Morinphen Forum Overlooker

Welcome back, mate! IDK if you remember, but we talked on the forum just a while before you went away and didn't get to play together as we thought we would. Coincidence made it so I got into your guild some time after, when I met one of the members in the old PWs (ah, Q1 Madok farming, pfft xD... the times...). There, I met Findecáno and we became friends... until some time ago when he went missing too :(. But now you're back, so welcome back once again (see you in-game for real this time, perhaps xD) and let's hope he'll return someday too.

As for suggestions, _Baragain_ and trakilaki pretty much covered it all up.
    Say what xD ?

Belei and _Baragain_ like this.
  8. Novadude

Novadude Commander of the Forum

Good advice - I will point out that the Black warlord set, including knight and squires pieces, was just on sale recently - 2 squire capes would have been 800 or 1000 drakens, i think. unfortunately, it might be a while before it comes back on sale.

9. _Baragain_

That is one of my funniest typos yet!

Fixed.

10. Morinphen

Especially coming from you xD. Golden; made my day ^_^. But you still left the triple ”e” xD.

11. _Baragain_

Dang!!! I had two typos back to back! That is what I get for typing while I should be sleeping.

12. David_Tactic

David_Tactic Someday Author

If you want to get a strong 1h mage, look this:

But that's only for PvP, iv PvE is a 2h mage 100000x better than a 1h mage. The black warlord set is an good option, even as the new Dragan set... (but that's mostly said already)

13. Heaven

Heaven Junior Expert

Wait, really? I swear I only saw the T3 pieces in there:eek:
    And also, come on it's BP. If they put it on sale it might mean they will make it obtainable again, right? We know how they work ;)

14. _Baragain_

It will be on sale again. I'd expect to see it again when they bring back the Dragan event around Halloween (just guessing, no real knowledge info on that).

15. Morinphen

Ha, don't sweat it too much, tho... it was also a pretty large reply. These things happen, but this time it was too funny not to mention xD.

16. 9ndrei

9ndrei Forum Expert

Thank you guys for the tips. I think I'll go with this - 3/5 darkness with a % damage torso and a mix of the Twin Queen's set in boots/decoration/cape - or with a 3/4 drakness if I get the helm sometime in the future

I already got 3/5 darkness (boots, shouler, hand). I'm currently trying a 2h weapon to see how it fits and I gotta say it's hard. Regardless of the low attack speed, I seem to die more and faster as I'm left with just 4.2K HP

Quick question. Is it safe to melt the duplicates from the darkness set? They cannot be crafted, right?

Another question, quicker this time. :) Where can I find some good reading material about the new crafting system & stats (I currently don't know which uniques I should keep and which to scrap, I don't see any tooltip about why some stats on the pinks are orange.. etc).

And a third one, probably related to the second one, what makes a good legendary item, in general?

Thanks again!

PS: Hello Fedor!

17. David_Tactic

David_Tactic Someday Author

Orange stats are the highest stats possible for that level on that kind of item, 75+% weapon damage is orange, do you understand?

18. 9ndrei

9ndrei Forum Expert

Yup, thanks. I figured it was a good thing just didn't know exactly what. So I use those pinks to craft a leg, to get better stats.

19. Morinphen

No, Darkness items cannot be crafted - only pieces of the old set (Dark) can be upgraded to the reworked versions with a special stone that comes on sale when the whole set does too @ Gnob's occasional special offers.

Sorta... you can also now craft 4 legendaries in order to make a better one. So a good leg. would come out of 4 others and inherit their golden lines (or, with tremendous luck, you could drop it... but crafting is a lot more reliable than waiting on the gods of luck xD); technically, you could manually make an item with the stats you desire. Found these threads for Crafting 2.0 info: Crafting 2.0 Official Statement + Feedback, Crafting 2.0.3, Crafting 2.0 Results. Happy reading :D.

20. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Not quite ... they are in something like 10% range of the highest possible stat.

_Baragain_ and Morinphen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.