Speed breakpoints table

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by ULTRAPEINLICH, Nov 19, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ULTRAPEINLICH

ULTRAPEINLICH Forum Duke

I posted this some weeks ago in a dso-related facebook group, after BP announced the changes in skill/motion unlock frames.
    Since the official speed breakpoint list was outdated/deleted in some forums, I was asked to repost it here:

[​IMG]

2. zynickal02

zynickal02 Forum Greenhorn

Thanks a lot @ Ultrapeinlich for posting your table.
    Short question though: In your outer left "white" column, you list only odd numbers for frames. Did you just skip even numbers (saving space) or is there a mathematical reason?
    Best, Zyni

3. ULTRAPEINLICH

ULTRAPEINLICH Forum Duke

Hi, you're welcome :)

There is a reason. But first of all I have to say that I am not a game developer so I am not even sure if my assumptions about my reasoning is 100% correct, however, I believe they are and the results prove me right (so far)^^

Frames:
    Every skill's animation consists of several frames, 20 respectively 15 or 33 (heavy shot). Every frame is a little picture of the skill's whole animation, which means 1 frame = 1 picture of 15 (or 20 and so on...) total pictures. 15 pictures played quickly render the animation (like in a flipbook). In oder to shorten the duration of a skill animation, 1 frame will be taken away -> the animation is played faster and thus needs less time to be executed.

Odd numbers:
    Here is where my assumptions chime in:
    I suppose dso was made for 30fps and was adjusted to 60fps later on to fit the standard, hence the double of the frames per second (fps). That means, skills with an af of 15 do now have 30 frames, those with 20 have 40 and so on. In order to shorten the duration of skills accordingly you have to remove 2 frames now.

Now you can calculate the speed breakpoints by dividing the base frame of a skill by the shortened version of it, :
    Precision shot (20 frames, ergo 20*2=40)
    40/39
    40/37 (leave out 2 frames)
    40/35 and so on...the result is the speed required to achieve this breakpoint.

Saved_81 likes this.
  4. Saved_81

Saved_81 Forum Master

Have you ever tested if forcing the max FPS @ 60 would give any benefit in the gameplay?
    I know that this isn't an FPS but in my experience (mostly with FirstPersonShooter games) it was quite important to force the framerate to specific max.
    This will be a good way to test the Gsync because I could force the game to play @ 60fps just to fit better to game graphic engine and it could save some un-need GPU power (which would result in less power consumption, lower temps and lower fan noise).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  5. ULTRAPEINLICH

ULTRAPEINLICH Forum Duke

Hey, I'm sorry for answering so late, I somehow haven't received or seen the alert notification of that post.
    Not, I've never tested it and I can't since I don't have any g-sync supporting monitor. I could try it with amd's freesync probably, but I'm not playing any other games apart from DSO and d3 right now and I highly doubt it will affect them in terms of enhanced gameplay ^^

I might try it tomorrow or so just out of curiousity. Have you already?

6. Saved_81

Saved_81 Forum Master

I tested it myself and the results were horrible.
    First of all I tried with RivaTuner Statistic server to force max Framerate @ 60 and I got massive microstuttering (which seems odd because I always use that in basically any game) then I tested it forcing the max framerate via drivers (nVidia inspector), this time the microstuttering were less impressive but I didn't notice any benefit.

Probably the source of all of this is that G-Sync doesn't actually let you change the max framerate because it's forced to handle the max frames the [edit] monitor [/edit] could pump out and an H&S games doesn't need such an high FPS because passed that there are are other factors that will matter to an higher magnitude (connection lag and server lag).

[edit]
    It's not exactly on topic but for the records, I did some more tests and researches and it seems I'm not that incompetent as it could seem.
    In this topic on the nVdia forum seems my guess were ALMOST correct. RTSS seems to add at least 1 frame for the FPS limiting and this could lead to micro lag in some games (I prefer to keep calling it microstuttering as it's what happens in reality).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.