Staff

Discussion in 'Questions about Getting Started in the Game' started by wildmonkey, Sep 14, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. wildmonkey

wildmonkey Forum Apprentice

How come getting increased damage in this item is better than increased damage ? I have 150% increased damage and 72% increased damage on this item and its better for me with the increased damage i have 2k more dmg than 200% increased dmg on this item

2. silverseas

silverseas Count Count

Here you go. I read this a long time ago, and I don't want to re-read it because it'll cause my eyes to bleed from too much math. :p

3. nvmind

nvmind Forum Inhabitant

on short, I think "increased damage" is referring to your base damage. Strip your character of all items and you'll find your base damage (which is usually lower than your weapon damage)

4. ΣMiwel

ΣMiwel Forum Ambassador

You're terribly wrong.

In short, it's because damage is calculated like this:
    %increased damage from all the items, summed, is applied over all the damage from all the items added together (with base character damage of course), but after putting the %IDotI into equation (increased damage on this item). This means that if you have the %increased damage from other sources (like torso, belt, wisdom or honor trees, essences) it's multiplied by %IDotI. On top of that, %Weapon Damage (eg. from bloodrune unique value or from bellicose set) is also multiplied by %IDotI.

It's really hard to describe it better than @_Baragain_ did in his post, so I'd really suggest you to read thoroughly the post that @silverseas linked to.

5. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

I'll give you a highly simplified TL;DR for the thread that Silverseas gave you.

There are three categories of stats that act like multipliers for damage. They are "% Weapon Damage," "%Damage on this Item," and "%Damage."

The most important component of your build's damage is the weapon's damage and the rubies you put on it. For that reason, Multiplying the three multipliers lets you roughly compare the damage quality of two builds, assuming all things else are equal. Doing a couple of example sets of multipliers can give you a feel for why the %DotI comes out on top if you use realistic stat choices.

The other important consideration is the use of essence. Because Blue/Purple/Red essence is a form of %Damage, it is included in that multiplier category. If you have a lot of %Damage from gear and your weapon, it ends up diluting the effectiveness of essence. You may have noticed that blue essence does not double your damage, and the issue just gets worse if you have lots of %Damage.

Really, this is as simple as I can make it, but if you want the full/real answer, you'll want to read the in depth thread I wrote for this. There is no better explanation of the subject and I don't feel like duplicating several hours worth of writing here.

Yea, not even close. %Damage applies to all sources of absolute damage after any %IDotI or %WeaponDamage is calculated. It is very important, but only if obtained from a helmet/belt/torso/set bonus/wisdom/Uniques. See the point above about it diluting the potency of essence.

6. Shiro

Shiro Padavan

To make it simple it should be like this:

{Character base dmg + (equipments base dmg) x increased damage on this item + [(weapon base dmg + rubies) x increased damage on this item] x increased weapon damage} x increased damage

Btw, @wildmonkey, having a weapon with 100% increased dmg and 75% increased dmg on item is like having one with 75% increased dmg on item and using blue essences...