Suggestion Test Dummies

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by rogue07, Jul 10, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
?

Like the idea?

1. yes

50.0%
  2. no

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogue07

rogue07 Someday Author

Doing damage tests has always been somewhat difficult in this game, and hard to get accurate numbers because mobs are too variable to work on; defense stats, die too fast, etc.

so I've been thinking, and I've seen this in a few other MMOs out there, there would be "test dummies" in some areas which have 0 defense stats but infinite hp.

In this game, it could scale with the area level / the level of the highest leveled character in this area. Since urban areas are skill ineffective zones, perhaps you can put these in open arenas? like the one in kingshill, etc.

since these open pvp arenas arent really used, i think its a great idea to add like 1 - 3 very close to each other (preferably 3, for aoe tests) test dummies in there. would be a good way to test out our damage, other stats, and practice new skills or combinations.

the dummies will of course be susceptible to all player skills and such, like a normal mob that just doesnt move and never dies.
    and the dummy itself COULD but not necessary, but it could, have an AI that makes it attack players when in melee range, around a 0.8 attack speed and each hit dealing 1 damage.

the latter is for tanks testing out their sets like dragan, and such.

i think this is a good idea and would help the entire player base grow and learn more about their characters and such. and its a relatively simple feature to implement.

2. Demon

Demon Forum Mogul

You can use static PW boses to test your stats.The game is allredy crowded by some feature that we dont use regular please find some solutions based on what we have allredy.
    Maybe a weapon simulator or stats simulator in game will be more usefull for us so that we can se what build can be more usefull in some situations.
    Anyway a weapon simulator or damage per second simulator made by BP can be a nice ideea.

3. rogue07

rogue07 Someday Author

using any active mob, especially one such as a pw boss where you risk dying and/or wasting resources, this is inefficient in all possible ways - you cant be doing calculations and such while fighting a boss. a test dummy is purely for the purpose of risk free testing.

A simple test dummy or 3 inside open pvp arenas i can assure you will not cost the game more than a few KB of space.

although this, will require a lot of scripting and will take a LOT more space than 3 new immobile "monsters"

4. xXxTroublexXx

xXxTroublexXx Forum Apprentice

in my opinion: go to the arena, ask an OP war running around if you may test on him, test, case closed :)

The only time this doesn't work is when you are so uber OP yourself that you oneshot every war in the arena, but in that case, you don't need testing :p

5. rogue07

rogue07 Someday Author

this ineffective in multiple ways;

1. their armor and resistance values - whereas the test dummies would have 0
    2. an OP DK would need his shield or he would still die within a couple hits.
    3. if he has shield or any form of block - this would throw a monkey wrench into the calculations.
    4. this is also not time efficient, or efficient in general as this is wasting time for another player.
    5. not every player or server has an abundance of OP DKs running around with nothing better to do.
    6. players are not susceptible to some skills, for example: mind control

for a player base to grow, in any game, there needs to a proper training/testing ground. otherwise, you have players like in DSO after a year or so, still do not understand everything in game yet or how their skills/combos work or which skills/combos to use to maximize their output.

not everyone, but these cases are honestly not rare if you looked around.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  6. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

Totally agree with this... especially when I see players testing without removing the weapon and gear first :)
    Anyway ... I can't see this suggested feature coming in the game ... because it has been suggested several times in the past 5-6 years ... and
    [​IMG]
    ... I can't see it around.

_Baragain_ likes this.
  7. rogue07

rogue07 Someday Author

actually, i admit my bad in using weapon while testing, which is something I've learned from.
    but would be nice if you kept on topic though.

then again, yeah i see this thread is going nowhere and even if it did - chances are it'll never be implemented.
    was worth a shot though

p.s. It hasn't been a year since i joined DSO, just FYI. there's a somewhat slow growth curve as to how much i can learn with the severe lack of information in relation to this game - especially on a near dead server (tegan)
    the basics are simple, but its not like there's a tester's manual that said "remove weapon prior to testing"

heck some of the pages you made on wiki are inconsistent too, shows how few ppl are actively engaged in sharing info on DSO, and BP itself has never really contributed to any of this in the end.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  8. Akageshi

Akageshi Forum Duke

I don't see why Demon and xXxTroublexXx can't help opposing. The suggested idea would cost pretty much nothing and it would help many. Even I, absolutely unable to understand why it's important to remove your weapon and gear prior to testing, do understand what they don't - testing against another DK or a boss tells you nothing because of all kinds of different stats they have.

The only thing I doubt is the suggestion to add the dummies into the pvp arena. Because there are op trolls running around and 1 hit killing everyone immediately upon entering.
    So I think the arena could simply have 2 instances, one for pvp and one for training on dummies.

9. Rhysingstar

Rhysingstar Forum Ambassador

This idea is not new, nor is it completely horrible. It's not exactly needed as there are ways to work around it, but I get the point. It would help newer players.

First thing you need to remember is that there are many, many ideas that have been suggested over the years. Most are simply ignored no matter how many players love the idea.

Second, if a player idea is accepted by the dev's, it takes years to be implemented.

Third, even when implemented, most of the time it comes with a price (ie: more grind or ruining the idea, etc).

So if your idea doesn't gather player support, don't spend time worrying about it. Players aren't the ones that decide what gets implemented. If your idea is good or bad or wanted or needed, the dev's will either like it or not like it, despite what the players think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.