Ultra Wide Monitors

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by Troneck86, Oct 5, 2016.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troneck86

Troneck86 Forum Great Master

Does anyone here own an Ultra Wide monitor? And if so, how does DSO scale with it? I'm looking to pick one up soon for work mostly, but it would be nice if DSO works well with them too.

2. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

You can sort of simulate what would happen with one by setting the client to an aspect ratio similar to what you would get from the ultra wide monitor and that would give you a clue about the left/right render distance. Alternativly, if you already have a dual screen set up, you can not only simulate the render distance, but also the resolution. I know plenty of people who play PvP on the client in windowed mode with it stretched out to gain the FoV advantage, so it wouldn't surprise me if it scaled ok, or even well.

3. Troneck86

I can stretch the window a bit with my 24" and it does help with clutter (minimap isn't right on my forehead). I thought they attempted to fix the FOV stretching a while back though? That was my worry was that I would get this monitor and the game would force some aspect ratio that isn't supported.

4. trakilaki

trakilaki Living Forum Legend

That is not working since long time ago. Now the proportions are kept constant just like you would play in windowed mode. Right and left render distance are always the same. The only thing that gets smaller is the GUI.
    This is how it used to looked like

[​IMG]

But not anymore.
    With ultra wide monitor you would probably get very small left/right "surplus" ... but the aspect ratio should scale proportionally to the monitor's native resolution.
    But ... the big plus would be getting smaller GUI ... meaning less chance to place your cursor over them during the combat :D

Troneck86 likes this.
  5. Troneck86

Thanks Traki, I will wait for Cyber Monday most likely to buy the one I want and post some screens here in case anyone else is curious.

EDIT: Couldn't wait till Cyber Monday, most likely the monitor I bought going on sale is slim. It should be delivered on Wednesday, I'll update with some screenshots of my current and new monitors.

As promised, here are some comparison screens of my old vs. new setup. Still trying to get this thing calibrated.

1920x1080 Full Screen:
    [​IMG]

2560x1080 Full Screen:
    [​IMG]

1920x1080 Windowed:
    [​IMG]

2560x1080 Windowed:
    [​IMG]

1920x1080 Full Screen:
    [​IMG]

2560x1080 Full Screen:
    [​IMG]

1920x1080 Windowed:
    [​IMG]

2560x1080 Windowed:
    [​IMG]

trakilaki and MikeyMetro like this.
  6. MikeyMetro

MikeyMetro Forum Overlooker

Very nice. Especially like the smaller HUD and other screen clutter. Way more click-able space.

Luck be with ye,
    Mikey,
    Tegan

7. _Baragain_

_Baragain_ Living Forum Legend

Nice field of view too.

8. Novadude

Novadude Commander of the Forum

Hrmmmm, maybe I will upgrade to ultrawide 1440p on my desktop since it seems that 21:9 won't break the game.... And it make my home setup closer to my office station (2× 1980 x 1200 in office, 1× 2560 x 1440 at home, and I really do need more horizontal pixels to work at home)

9. Troneck86

It's definitely an improvement! Taking some calibration and getting used to. I'm probably going to buy a wall mount since this beast takes up most of my desk and sits a little close I feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.