1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Harvest Hoedown

Discussion in 'Game Strategy Discussion' started by fishy_broke, Jul 9, 2018.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. fishy_broke

fishy_broke Active Author

How do I prepare? :eek:

2. sglick

sglick Exceptional Talent

You know how to do this. How many Top 100 goodies have you gotten now?

If you need a reminder, buy up everything in the market and then sell it all for quadrupel the price that you bought the stuff for? Then donate all your profits to the Hoedown so you can earn yet another useless item.

Good Luck FB! I know you will find some clever twist on how to succeed.

Banjoman, tlcmom, MARLYMAR and 4 others like this.
  3. fishy_broke

Wow. No more foolishness for me today :D:wuerg::wuerg:

4. sglick

LOL! I'm sorry for stymieing your foolishness. :eek: I never want to step on the toes of foolishness. Let the foolishness continue. xDxDxD

Plus, I am very jealous of all your useless Top 10 goodies. :inlove::p;)

MARLYMAR, joanc123 and fishy_broke like this.
  5. fishy_broke

Well in that case ..... no no no no
    I went to a farm where you are mentor and said to myself: Now that lady means business. And I hurried up and got myself together :):)

There were a couple of nice ep givers. I wanted to send to Mentor Brookeham but I could not. (We'll fix that..hahahaha... I'll just keep sending her the pantry. xDxD) She would use them much better than I do because I forget to turn them on. xDxD

This has really turned into buying ep. Over time, I must say that it is worth it if one wants ep or pays for it.

One farm got a cloud row too out of the deal. hahahaha Maybe we can keep this quiet. That farm still has not opened the stalk. hahahahaha xD

Seriously though, time is drawing near if one wishes to prepare for competition in the Hoedown. By not preparing one only hurts their farm and some destroy their farm.

An individual in the EN Forum can compete well.

Some in this forum have done decently and perhaps one or two will encourage others.

And no feelings hurt here.

swCactus1, sanddollar15 and joanc123 like this.
  6. MARLYMAR

MARLYMAR Count Count

hahaha xD I know this from first hand experience :cry::cry::wuerg::wuerg:xDxD wont make that mistake again ;):p

nwTrout1, Banjoman, tlcmom and 2 others like this.
  7. farmer_broke

farmer_broke Forum General

I watched you as several others who knew did. I am glad you made it. You were very lucky compared to many others I know. I would imagine that your farm has no yet returned to where it was.

I really like your message. You have something to offer that many do not realize. The event itself really seemed daunting to me when I began the game. The event can be done though and done well. BP may go in many directions with the event.

Thank you for posting. You have done a much better job than I at encouraging players to prepare in some manner.

tlcmom, swCactus1, joanc123 and 2 others like this.
  8. MARLYMAR

MARLYMAR Count Count

yes I WAS VERY lucky and Im glad I got the straw house :inlove::p but I did learn my lesson and wont be doing that again anytime soon o_Oo_O Im still struggling to build everything back up on 2 of my farms :wuerg::oops: but I can honestly say lesson learned xDxD ( thank goodness I only went for it on 2 of my farms and not all 4 :p;) ) And I WOULDNT recommend ANYBODY to go for it if you haven't properly prepared ;):)

9. sglick

So the BIG question is, How does one prepare their farm for the ultimate event folly?

I vaguely remember PNP and some others buying mass quantities of cheaply priced tree fruit with a high EV. The market has changed so much. I'm not sure if that is the most practical way to prepare anymore? I do know that any preparation is increasing the EV!

Just to let you know, I will join in the discussion, but I will not participate in this ultimate of follies. I like having a well stocked farm. I still think my farm is still understocked compared to how well it was stocked before I took my year long vacation. Maybe next year. :p

10. FrootloopGrove

FrootloopGrove Forum Pro

I personally will be watching the chit-chat. My parents always said you can learn much by watching and paying attention.
    Also, I'm still working on my stock and searching for knowledge. Knowledge to use or not :wuerg: BUT I do seek...

nwTrout1, fishy_broke, sglick and 2 others like this.
  11. sglick

I'm a seeker of knowledge to.... one of the most important things that I have learned about seeking knowledge is that I am super lazy at using the knowledge once I have it xDxDxD

So Broke, bring on the wisdom. How can I get those EVs while still being lazy? :inlove::p:inlove:

12. fishy_broke

What do you want EVs of?

13. FrootloopGrove

FrootloopGrove Forum Pro

HAHAHA, :wuerg:I will never admit to that... I'm just digesting the information ;)
    Really there is so much to this game if you want it to be...
    So I slow chew things then I take time and digest. After that and a nap on some random rainy or sunny or perhaps a snowy day I try applying the knowledge. :D
    That said I have my reading glasses on 8)

nwTrout1, sglick, fun2farm and 3 others like this.
  14. fun2farm

fun2farm Junior Expert

Lol!! I am a finder of knowledge, and when I find it.. [QUOTE="sglick.... I am super lazy at using the knowledge once I have it xDxDxD[/QUOTE]
    (Lol! Me, too, dear neighbor! And I love the learning journey!)

But abundance of knowledge does not a wise man/woman make!!o_O;):music:

So Broke, bring on the wisdom. :inlove::p:inlove:[/QUOTE] Amen!

(G-r-e-a-t quote, sglick!!xD :inlove:)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 4:35 AM
    tlcmom, nwTrout1, sglick and 4 others like this.
  15. fishy_broke

I just do not know what you want to know. For sure I will share with you want I know but what do you want to know? All I know about the Hoedown Event? A little? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

16. puppiesnponies

puppiesnponies Emperor of the Forum

Super grow your cress and power feed your chickens will get you there fasterxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxD

nwTrout1, Cassie101, Banjoman and 6 others like this.
  17. fishy_broke

I just do not understand why pnp would write such things.:eek: I nominate that outburst as the post of the year. xD

With those words of wisdom from pnp I think I had better just start somewhere. And pnp has participated and done well in the Hoedown competition. Unless one has a well stocked barn in THE RIGHT PLACES one is most likely throwing their farm away. I have found that if one goes through some process of preparing their farm then when the competition has ended, then their attitude in the game and their farm will never be the same.

And if one does not prepare in some manner properly:

And Marlymar was very lucky that she got away finishing successfully once.

I do not know what resources each person here has nor what is in their barn nor what they know of their market .... I do not know each individual's circumstances.

There are two main parts to preparation: preparation to qualify for the competition and the final competition itself. There are many directions BP can go in and this depends upon what their intended direction for the game is. The event as with all events is an adjustment mechanism for BP. (With their game data one stands a decent chance of predicting many of the faqs. BUT that game data is not available to nearly 100% of us. I use the word "nearly" purposely as I am well aware of the cheating which takes place by a few. I have no concern with it and in preparation I do not recommend that anyone get concerned. Just realize cheaters are present in that event and appear even after BP has made a few game-wide checks.)

The final competition has been historically to make donations of goods. The total donation is done for each competitor considering the EV of the goods donated. And we thus get the 1 ........ to 3,000 . Generally, the lower ones rank, the greater the competition to remain.

To fast forward to the end of the competition: If one is indeed prepared and halfway knowledgeable, the decision will remain WHAT ONE SHOULD NOT DONATE. <----- very very very advanced thinking and one usually will not accurately know whether or not they were correct at the end of the event.

A brief note regarding growing for ep: When the farmer_broke farm first prepared and did well, it made absolutely no sense to grow item to donate for the event. Approximately a year or so ago it began to make a little sense to grow sensibly. For the approaching event (if it happens) it makes sense to produce tree fruit...... at times.

Also, a tree fruit ep only grower has a somewhat predictable barn to some degree. These heavy competitors are not new players and know how to use buffs and produce high ep tree fruit. Quite simply stated: If all they do is grow high EP BAHA tree fruit for a year then one can predict fairly accurately what they are adding to their ep total daily. Now one is able to get a 20 hr tree down to about 13 - 14 hours. (Too much effort for me .... hahaha)

Some produce tree fruit for a year and some produce it for years. That is one way to prepare in a single area.

Well the above is a start. And thank you pnp for those words of wisdom:

Now that is thought provoking. And I can see a very very very slim chance of being successful. And certainly the success would be quite RL fund-expensive.

And do you see how pnp is laughing in the post ................................. I'm ROFLMAO .

Well, success has its price. xDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxD

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:56 PM
  18. puppiesnponies

puppiesnponies Emperor of the Forum

I did have to tease a little bit.:p

To contribute to a serious topic, when I began, I looked at the donation of the last placed player from the year before. That gives you a good idea of what you need to start with and each year that minimum has increased. For example, last year's 1000th place was approx 367 Million EV donated and in 2016 it was 282 Million EV. I have no doubt it will be even higher this year. It is very competitive and those final hours (even minutes) are very frantic with large donations so you won't know if you are 'safe' or not.

What I did (with the help and guidance of others) was to prepare all year. I did an inventory of my barn and determined what I needed to gain on average per month until end of October. Harvest Hoedown is mid November. I looked at all categories of goods in the market but tree fruit was able to be purchased for much lower than any other category on a consistent basis. When HH began, I had an amount that had been set aside that I could donate without damaging my farm. I waited to donate and watched the list. If it looked like I would need more than I had set aside, I would just wait until the following year. My goal was to be in the top 1000. All players receive the same rewards so it wasn't necessary for me to rank high on the list, but try to stay on it.

Last year I participated in it only to see if I could do it 2 years in a row. I wanted to see if I could recover from the donations and do it again without harming my farm.

It was an experience I will never forget and will never forget those who did it along with me. The planning, the encouragement, the frantic worry was all worth it when we all made it :)

My barn was prepared but it did affect other farming goals.

This message is long enough so will let someone else discuss market prices/ratio to determine what is worth buying and what is not.
    broke, I hope this comment helps erase my silliness from before :)

tlcmom, nwTrout1, Banjoman and 7 others like this.
  19. fun2farm

fun2farm Junior Expert

PnP I love your 'silliness'!! What a great post!!xDxDxD:D:inlove: Please, don't even think of erasing it!:eek: Love love love the silliness in this forum, and will try to offer my share once in a while!xDxD

....and I nominate this post for kindness of the year - for the unquestioned offers of help, not just to help newbie farms like mine, but to all farmers :) (All over the world, as it is!:p)
    But you have competition!!:music: PnP is also nominated for her post #18+++!!:D

Of course I cannot enter the Hoedown this year, or who knows if ever - but as a 'finder' of knowledge;) I am eager to learn!!xD
    Thanks Broke!!
    (And PnP for the laughter!!xDxDxD)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 10:28 AM
  20. FrootloopGrove

FrootloopGrove Forum Pro

xDxD:cry:xDxD I think they would be done before the SG could hit them xD

Just had to laugh now back to my reading.
    I have known from the first words of this Hoedown that it is not for me BUT I'm interested and there is always next year.

Meantime... I have my glasses, coffee, and notepad at hand.
    NOTES:
    * -super grow cress
    >> add white innocence
    * -power feed your chickens
    >> activate valentine's pot
    * -

;)

Good Luck to all!!!