New Baby reindeer to my herd

Discussion in 'Gabfest' started by BoHoKaren, Feb 1, 2015.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. farmlily3

farmlily3 Commander of the Forum

8)Isn't that Tigga, with more gold in the coat and a light patch on her neck??
    Actually, I am a little bit concerned about Jeeves - he seems more lethargic than the others. Or are there just some 'low energy' reindeer?
    I always treasure all your photos...and none of them are ever boring!:) Thank you for sharing them with us!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 8:05 PM
  2. BoHoKaren

BoHoKaren Count Count

Farmlilly - no that's Jeeves.. Their coats change a lot at the moment due partly to moult. A better gauge (unless seen together) is Jeeves has a lot narrower face than Tigga. Look for the gap between antlers and eyes.. :)

Lilaclady, Willow, tlcmom and 4 others like this.
  3. farmlily3

farmlily3 Commander of the Forum

8)Lol! Sometimes I think I'll never keep them all straight!!:p I would love to see those two together....
    As for the adults - o_Oo_O Can hardly wait to see all their new coats! We'll need a score card to tell who is who after the moult!!xD

4. BLZbub666

BLZbub666 Someday Author

Is that Jeeves starting to moult on his neck Karen?

sanddollar15 and joanc123 like this.
  5. BoHoKaren

BoHoKaren Count Count

I took quite a few pictures today - they have been in short supply over the previous days as it has been unseasonably HOT and the reindeer have been hiding in field shelters...
    Tigga and Jeeves together. Tigga in foreground - at some angles she has lost her darker back but is still slightly more red to Jeeves gold.. but all depends on angles of picture.
    [​IMG]
    Hector looks as if he will have a "spade" on his front brow tine... if so in a couple of years his antlers should be pretty impressive :)
    [​IMG]
    Is someone here "Adora Bull"??? ;) Just guessing from comments/questions on their FB page, I may be wrong - If so hoping you are enjoying the extra photos... :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 5:37 PM
  6. Lilaclady

Lilaclady Regular

He is going to look even more handsome! Must come and see him again soon, maybe when the weather cools down a bit!

7. BLZbub666

BLZbub666 Someday Author

Yes Karen, yet another of my aliases ... and, yes, I'm thoroughly enjoying all the pictures on whatever site

8. BoHoKaren

BoHoKaren Count Count

Heehee, wasn't sure who but guessed it was someone from here as they have a lot of "Close followers" but I know their "thumb prints" and few ask "intelligent questions" just add smilies or whatever... but Adora Bull was asking questions I had posed here.. :) Welcome to their wider world Adora Bull - love the name! :)

9. BLZbub666

BLZbub666 Someday Author

Thank you for the comment regarding 'intelligent questions '. I think it stems from my curiosity about all things considered 'natural world ' and being this is the closest I have got to reindeer, my tide of questions is flowing unabated but not always suited for an open forum. Also, I have a dislike of posting messages that do not add to the conversation. I find it difficult to act online any differently than I do in person, and not being the most 'socially tactful' person judging by the number of 'feet inserted into mouth' I have performed over the years, I have a tendency to not post without good reason, just to be on the safe side :pxDxD

10. BoHoKaren

BoHoKaren Count Count

Oh thanks for the giggle, much appreciated!
    Weather here is back to silly HOT, we are not used to it! Everybody just hiding in the shade... The pile of fur is Katya's as I had a really good session on her as it had finally started to "release"... Their skin is very sensitive, guessing due to how many hairs per square inch but she puts up with stripping better than most.. :)
    [​IMG]

11. sanddollar15

sanddollar15 Forum Overlooker

Glad you said what that pile of fur isxD ,will the birds come get it to line their nests or is that season past? Besides it is too hot to want a fur lined nest! ha ha Great picture of the shade seeking babies!

12. BoHoKaren

BoHoKaren Count Count

Birds line up to collect reindeer hair earlier in the year to line their nests... In March I could groom out in the morning and all hair was taken by afternoon... Now their eggs would cook!!!... My Blackbird is on her second clutch (in Rutland Field shelter) but she no longer wants reindeer hair! ;)

13. BLZbub666

BLZbub666 Someday Author

So does the warm weather help them moult quicker or is it just an additional problem the poor things must put up with?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    joanc123 and sanddollar15 like this.
  14. BoHoKaren

BoHoKaren Count Count

Not sure BLZ (AdB;) ) They are definitely loosing coat rapidly now but they would be anyway in June... This morning we had torrential rain and then a cool afternoon... Happy dance and my babies (big and small) were back to their usual selves..
    As you will see some are sporting new head collars... I can't tell you how many different makes sizes of UK foal/mini foal head collars I have ordered and none fit well (about 15!) :(
    There are two suppliers of reindeer head collars in US one hasn't got website, email (there's are the best fit) and another who does... Our exchange rate is rubbish at the moment... but me thinks better than wasting more money on what I can buy in UK! :)

Definitely having a "poody" - Farmerama have STOLEN OUR virtual breeding reindeer, thank goodness they can't touch my real ones!!!! Grrrhhhh!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 at 8:10 PM
  15. Brookeham

Brookeham Forum Demigod

Love, love, love the video!!! :inlove: Wow...your herd looks so much bigger when they are all together! Adding the new 5 babies...sure enlarged your number. They all seem so happy with the cooler weather.:music:

tlcmom, BoHoKaren, joanc123 and 3 others like this.
  16. joanc123

joanc123 Forum Mogul

I saw your beautiful picture in feedback. :inlove:
    With that kind of evidence of your influence with the "Big Man", I bet BP is quaking in their boots.
    Brook is right, your herd has grown a lot over the years. :)

17. Lilaclady

Lilaclady Regular

Great to see your babies enjoying the cooler weather. We could do with some rain here, if you get any more send it my way please!!!

18. Willow

Willow Forum Ambassador

Grand video! Always makes my day to see your beauties.:) Sorry about the head collar situation, but I believe you are right in going for the best fit despite cost.

19. BoHoKaren

BoHoKaren Count Count

Today I had a VERY serious set to on grooming.
    I targeted Katya, (she just looks more of a mess, as most of her coat isn't ready to release, just clumps still), Boris, who I thought I could get all out (but he is determined to keep his Elvis sideburns and clumps of body hair (pic 2 with Lexi sympathising and 2 inches deep of hair at his feet) & Hector who now looks pretty smart in his Summer coat (first pic). I haven't quite finished with Hector as he still has a lot of short broken hairs in his coat that need polishing out but he's looking pretty good now - getting in shape for his Ladies in September... ;) AND those antlers are looking pretty good for a young boy with a couple of weeks growing still to go...
    No doubt he'll be pulling Santa's Sledge this year too;)

[​IMG]
    At the point I gave up on Boris, those last few hairs are just not ready yet... Stop smiling Lexi, it's you tomorrow BUT her coat is only ready for a few clump removal but I'm on your case!
    [​IMG]
    Joan123, not sure if I did something wrong in feedback but that picture has been edited by a Mod and put as a Spoiler Alert??? Not sure why it's a Spoiler, was just having fun... :(

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    BLZbub666, farmlily3, tlcmom and 3 others like this.
  20. sanddollar15

sanddollar15 Forum Overlooker

Wow, that is a lot for fur!xD Lexi looks very warm in that coat she has on, poor baby!;)
    And Hector is just as handsome as ever!:inlove: I hope Freya is taking notes on how to grow big girl antlers from Hector!:D

Karen, your beautiful picture is still in the feed back! I think they put the spoiler so they can condense the picture and save space. If you want to see the picture click on the word "spoiler" and the picture comes up!:p

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 11:36 PM
    BLZbub666, farmlily3, tlcmom and 3 others like this.