1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prayers for South Louisiana

Discussion in 'Gabfest' started by blessedlady2, Jul 13, 2019.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
  1. blessedlady2

blessedlady2 Exceptional Talent

Please pray for the people in South Louisiana. It seems like Barry has decided to hang around for a while. Winds are not too bad at this time but the rain is bad for the levees which were already strained from all the water run off from the Northern States. Don't even want to think about what could happen if some of these levees are breached. Katrina was bad but I think Betsy was worst.
    At this time we still have power, did loose a greenhouse which took out a heavy glass top table as it blew away yesterday. This happened about 2 ft from my french doors so consider myself blessed.
    Also pray safe travels home for 15 of my Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren who spent the week in Galveston Texas for 4 of my Great granddaughters to play ball in Nationals. Good news is one team came out in 3rd place. The road home follows the coastline where Barry is only traveling 5 miles an hour and holding a lot of people hostage.

tlcmom, SahraB, shellhappybj and 4 others like this.
  2. Willow

Willow Commander of the Forum

Barry is now at hurricane status, but the flooding is the worst danger due to the Mississippi River being at flood stage and the slow move of the storm. Prayers definitely needed. My niece and her family are in the cross hairs; not on the coast thankfully, but low land flooding is a danger throughout the state. Have some friends in New Orleans, who are getting the worst of it right now.

blessedlady- Glad for the nice result in Nationals! Extra prayers for you as you ride out the storm, and for family that is traveling home.

After my experience with Hurricane Michael last year, I have much sympathy for all dealing with these storms.

3. puppiesnponies

puppiesnponies Living Forum Legend

My thoughts, prayers and best wishes go to all who are affected by the weather worldwide, as well as the families and friends waiting for news of their loved ones.

4. farmlily3

farmlily3 Forum Freak

8) After reading your post, blessedlady2, and yours, Willow, I looked up the latest news about Barry, and was almost stunned at the potential for severe damage this hurricane has!! Especially with the River already being so high!
    So, YES, many thoughts and prayers for you, your families, and all who must suffer through this!!:(:cry::oops:

Please let us know how both of you are doing, and that your loved ones are o.k.?!!?:inlove:

shellhappybj and 007Farming like this.
  5. 007Farming

007Farming Count Count

I am speechless:eek:. My heart is heavy:(. I have been watching the events take place in America over the past many months:wuerg:. I am with you in spirit my fellow brothers and sisters.:cry::inlove:

6. sanddollar15

sanddollar15 All knowing Oracle

My thoughts and prayers are for all those in harms way do to weather along the Gulf coast. May you all take care and keep safe!

baw815 and Lilaclady like this.
  7. 12ss12

12ss12 All knowing Oracle

Sorry to hear it. A storm crossing at 5 kms per hour means its slowly and for a long time causing havoc on the land. Hope you are all safe and everything returns to normal very soon.

8. baw815

baw815 Forum Ambassador

I have to say I can't exactly relate to hurricanes. I live in CA, and it's earthquakes. We recently had a 7.1 near Ridgecrest, CA. There were several aftershocks and one was 7.4. It was felt from the coast to Las Vegas. I slept through several. I have lived here all my life, that I can remember anyway, it is just something you live with. It is very similar to the feeling of apocalypse from the cold war due to nuclear bombs. It seems like a shadow, always present but nothing you can do to stop it. That's my take on disasters. If it bothers you too much, move.

That said, my heart goes out to those in harms way and hope not much destruction happens.

007Farming and sanddollar15 like this.
  9. blessedlady2

blessedlady2 Exceptional Talent

I live 50 miles south of NOLA and 23 miles from Gulf of Mexico. We were very blessed because predictions were off the mark. It went inshore about 110 miles west of us. It did push a lot of water inland and levees in 2 of the low lying communities in our parish were breached. 12 people were rescued by Coast Guard helicopters. We got very little rain and sustained winds were about 35. We stayed for Betsy who was a catagory 4 with steady winds over 140. Look her up and see what she did to NOLA. After about 6 hours of that you know what fear is.
    All my grandblessings got home safe. Thank all of you for thoughts and prayers. Prayers worked because even the weather men are having trouble understanding how they missed the target
    Baw I do keep up with the earthquakes because my boys live on a hilltop overlooking downtown Portland. We do at least have warnings with hurricanes.

tlcmom, 007Farming, Arielh and 3 others like this.
  10. Willow

Willow Commander of the Forum

Glad the family got in safely, blessedlady! :) Really sorry about those that did have flooding from the few levee breaches; always a hard thing. My New Orleans friends had a bit of flooding to contend with, though there wasn't a major problem in the city.

So happy for the "missed predictions" - I kept grinning as the weather people tried to figure out what was happening! My niece and family were fine; just puddling instead of flooding. Definitely answered prayers! :D

tlcmom, 007Farming, Arielh and 3 others like this.
  11. Arielh

Arielh Living Forum Legend

I am glad your family blessedlady2 is safe and also yours Willow:inlove:

I can also say the same I can't relate to hurricanes and they sound so scary to me. Greece is the country with the most earthquakes in Europe, I have experienced quite some myself fortunately not causing much harm. Though recently in Athens they had a big earthquake 5.1 in 19 of July just after a week I had left. There were a few damages in buildings but no hurt people.
    wow I have never experienced a 7.1 earthquake! I hope everyone is fine.

tlcmom, Willow and 007Farming like this.