Dodge chance or damage prevention?

Discussion in 'Help' started by ×|๖ۣۜDeaGle|×, Sep 1, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ×|๖ۣۜDeaGle|×

×|๖ۣۜDeaGle|× Forum Apprentice

I have a 19% damage prevention gem and a 12% dodge chance one.
    Which one is better?I equipped the 19% damage prevention one but I haven't seen a much decrease in the damage I receive from the NPCs

2. -Dragonsabre-

-Dragonsabre- Someday Author

damage prevention only effective when you equip your ship with agwe plate of armor. dodge chance effective even not equip with agwe plate of armor.

3. KIBIRA$

KIBIRA$ Forum Apprentice

dodge chance not work for npc demage prevention yes you get less demage from npc.dodge chance works for tentakle.you can use dodge chance and demage prevention in same time.

4. ×|๖ۣۜDeaGle|×

so dodge chance has no effect on npcs other than tentacles?

5. *~Dman71~*

*~Dman71~* Forum Apprentice

dodge chance is more for pvp then npcs damage prevention works more for npcs then pvp the higher the maps the more you will notice the amount of damage taken by the npcs

6. ×|๖ۣۜDeaGle|×

yes but dodge chance has no effect on npcs right?

7. ×|๖ۣۜDeaGle|×

because i see people taking 800-900 damage from leviathans without armor playes and i take 2.2 k with plates + damage reduction skill maxed out

8. Destruction

Destruction Old Hand

Hi Deagle,

It looks like you're getting some very varied and vague responses from your fellow pirates here so I will try and help you out as best I can so as not to leave you confused.

First off, I will bust a few myths that are being claimed here. Damage prevention is always active and has no direct tie to your Agwe Shields (They just increase the stat further). Tentacles are not the only NPC that is effected by your dodge chance.

Damage Prevention
    So, to lay the basics, there are 2 main offensive stats, and they both have their defensive counterparts. "Cannon Damage" is the percentage damage modifier added to the value of your cannon balls. For example, if you had a 20% Cannon Damage gem, then the damage from your Flare Ammunition would rise from 75 to (75x1.2) = 90. Damage prevention works in the same way, but as a reduction of shots made on you as opposed to increasing the damage of the shots you fire. So, lets make an example here:
    You: 40% Cannon Damage, 30% Damage Prevention
    Enemy: 20% Cannon Damage, 30% Damage Prevention

So, if you were attack this enemy, your Cannon Damage increase would be 40%-30% = 10%. If you were using flares here the damage would be increased from 75 to (75x1.1) = 82.5.

If this enemy attacked you then you can see from the calculations that you would actually have more Damage Prevention than he has Cannon Damage. This would mean that his Flares would do (75x0.9) damage which is 67.5.

Those are the basics of Damage Prevention and how it is calculated. I have used low, rounded numbers to keep it simple, but there are many different factors and equipment you can invest in to increase either stat further.

Dodge Chance
    The second set of stats that effect your offence and defence, with the exception to Critical Hits, are Hit Probability and Dodge Chance. In the most basic form, Hit Probability is the chance each of your cannonballs has of hitting the target. Your Hit Probability boosters will increase your chance of hitting an enemy, whilst their Dodge Chance boosters will reduce it.

Cannon Damage is essentially infinite (or restricted to how much is readily available in the game) and as higher level gems and other items that effect it come, the damage would continue to rise. With Hit Probability however, one you reach 100% there is no more increase. If you think of it logically, 100% hit chance having all of your cannons hit an enemy, you wouldn't increase the chance because you wouldn't have more shots land than you fired. The calculation works the same way where the opponents Dodge Chance % will be deducted from your Hit Probability %. Each cannon type gives a 75% Hit Probability so you will always have at least 75%, but this can be increased to in excess of 140%. Now, this extra 40% may seem useless but it would mitigate up to 40% of your opponents Dodge Chance before your damage started to decrease. NOTE: There is a 5% sway after the Hit Chance calculations have been made, meaning that even if you have 100% Hit Probability after the enemy's Dodge Chance is taken into account, it will still vary between 95% and 100%.

Summary
    Dodge Chance for the PvP side of the game is more beneficial than Damage Prevention, although it is best to run both rather than HP once you reach the later stages of the game. The increases to your Damage Prevention are relatively minor per level, even though the percentage on the gems is higher than that of Dodge Chance for each level.

For NPCs, Damage Prevention is generally the most useful. The majority of NPCs have an increased Hit Probability stat and so they will still hit you for the maximum damage despite your Dodge Chance, however their damage will be decreased by your Damage Prevention. There are NPCs that do not have increased Hit Probability and therefore Dodge Chance would be effective on these but I do not have a list of the stats for each NPC I am afraid. I would expect that, based on your previous comments, Leviathans would be one of the NPCs that only has 100% Hit Probability.

I am sorry if I have rambled on, but hopefully this givers you a good insight on how Damage Prevention and Dodge Chance work, how they benefit you in different situations, and which is the better in a general sense.

Thanks

~Des

9. ×|๖ۣۜDeaGle|×

Thank you for the detailed answer,so glad there's people like you who give such detailed answers.
    I have searched the entire forum for this question but as you can see I haven't found one.
    As I am happy with my answer you can close this thread,and thanks again Destruction!

MAMMOTH#JACK likes this.
  10. Destruction

Destruction Old Hand

No problem, glad I could help!

11. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

Just some quick corrections.
    While this is the case for almost everything Damage prevention related, the Skill "Agwe's Armor" requires the Agwes Armor Plates to be active.
    The random 5% is actually added on top of your total damage. So after the whole calculation has been finished you shall then get up to 5% more hit probability. Given your example, if you have 100% Hit Probability, you could then have 100% to 105% after the random 5% is applied.

I agree with everything else Destruction has stated. A well written and explained post.

-Arky

MAMMOTH#JACK likes this.
  12. Destruction

Destruction Old Hand

I'm a little confused what you mean about the 5% there. If you had 100% hit chance and then the 5% means you could have between 100% and 105% then surely you would hit the same damage every shot, as it would always be at least 100% of your cannon balls hitting.

Also, the 5% Plates of Armor Bonus Special Gem would work the same was as the skills, I just didnt want to overload the information on a post explaining the basics.

13. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

For arguments sake, let's take your example. Within that they would be removing up to 5% of your damage on everything for no reason, which would be completely unfair on the player and make no real sense. Thankfully that is not what is happening.

After the whole calculation has been finished, and you get your shot value, then you get a random %, up to 5%, which is added onto your damage.

Although it has not been confirmed to my knowledge, I believe this 5% is added in the form of extra Hit Probability as it is impossible to get hit 0 (missed) consistently by a target via dodge. The other option is they calculate your damage then just multiply it by up to 1.05, however, that would then mean you could hit a 0 consistently due to dodge, which isn't the case as far I know.

Due to not being able to be hit a 0 consistently because of dodge, this means that the extra 5% is applied after the Hit Prob Check. So if it's over 100, it gets capped at 100 then up to 5% is added onto that. Similarly if after the targets dodge has been taken into account you have 0% Hit Probability, you then get the random 5%, meaning you will still hit them with between 0% to 5% of your cannons.

You have to remember that these are just numbers, and have no actual meaning. Just because 105% represents Hit Probability and in reality you can't have more than 100% of your cannons hitting, this is just a number and is not limited to them constraints. The extra 5% just means you get 5% more damage, and is not effected by dodge.

I am unsure if the Special Gem actually requires the Agwe Armor Plates to be active or if it is just inferred by the description.

-Arky

Destruction likes this.
  14. Destruction

Destruction Old Hand

I wouldn't imagine they would have 2 gems, one special one defensive, that do the exact same. But to be honest who doesn't run with shields always on nowadays? :/

15. Grand-mariner™

Grand-mariner™ Forum Veteran

Indeed, my Mum always used to say, 'make sure you use some protection'. ;)

It makes sense, especially when entering the areas that have lots of Vuurs freely wandering around.:eek:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  16. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

I would like to correct something I posted last night. Today I tested the Skill "Agwe's Armor", it does not require the Agwe's Armor Plates to be active at all. This is a time where I have fallen victim to the description of the skill instead of testing it myself.

With 0 in the Skill and no plates on:
    45442.8571429 was the Average Damage a Hawkeye hit me.

With 6 in the Skill and no plates on:
    44778.5714286 was the Average Damage a Hawkeye hit me.

-Arky

Panthoneum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.