Server War Event (Server v Server)

Discussion in 'Users’ Corner' started by A-R-K-Y, May 19, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
?

Do you like this idea? (Please explain why in a post regardless of your answer)

1. Yes - I like this

2. Maybe - With some changes

3. No - I don't like it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

Server War Event

Hello again all.

Firstly, this idea came to me when I was thinking about the Guild War Event, and as such is based off of that idea, combined with an idea I had and posted a little while ago.

Before I explain this idea, I do encourage you to go and read the 'Guild War Event' idea I have posted, the link for this is:
    https://board-en.seafight.com/threads/guild-war-event.169070/

That idea provided some much needed PvP with good rewards, in what I believe to be a balanced system, making use of mostly what is already in the game, included ways to stop pushing to create a fair environment, and promoted some healthy goals for the game; Guilds, Guild Support, and Teamwork.

This idea, does not provide the same sort of goals, but it does promote Teamwork, and working together as a Server. I believe this Event helps to solve an even greater problem; the lack of players on a server, and the request for another Server Merge.

Event Time frame:
    • 1 Day (24 Hours)

The idea:
    • Your Server goes head to head against a similar size Server in a Server v Server battle! A Server Event Ranking where the total Event Points earned by Sinking Players from Another Server is added together with everyone else from your Server to increase your Server Rank. If your Servers Points at the end of the Event are more than the other Servers, your Server gets rewards!

Details:
    • Your Server is randomly paired with another similar size Server (e.g. GB1 and FR1, or NL1 and ES1, etc). (Your pairing is random, so next Event you may be against a different server!)
    • A Server Ranking combining the Total Event Points gained throughout the time frame by all players on your server.
    • Beat the other server in Total Points, and your Server shall receive excellent rewards!
    • There shall also be a individual ranking per server, better your rank the better your individual reward!
    • 1 Player can only gain Event Points twice off of each player from the other Server.
    • Event Points shall be calculated as follows:
      • A combination of BP and Level. The points gained from Level and BP are added together.
      • Sinking players who are from your own Server shall grant you 0 points.
      • Sinking a player the same Level or Higher = 10 points, for each level below yours this shall decrease by 1 point.
      • Battlepoints works the same way as Level, however due to the large progression between BP Ranks in the high levels this shall decrease by 0.5 points per level, rounded down. Sinking a Player with the same BP Rank or Higher = 10 points, each level below shall decrease by 0.5 points rounded down.
    • Only players with over 5,000 BP are considered battle worthy to go head-to-head against another Server!
    • To be eligible to get a reward from the event you need:
      • To be a player on the Winning Server!
    • Server v Server is fought across 9 maps, which works similarly to the Raid, you have to transfer to the Server Maps, you get 30 seconds of damage immunity unless you shoot someone. If you are sunk you go back to your own Server, and have to transfer back into the Server Map if you wish.
    • You do not have to take part if you do not want to.
    • Each Server has its own Temporary Ship Design, like the Death Arena, so that players can easily tell each team apart.
    • You can not damage players of your own server - you can still repair them.

How can a Server fight another Server?

So this is where my other idea comes into play. You can read my first thoughts about this here:
    https://board-en.seafight.com/threads/new-server-merge.168922/#post-506858

In 2006, we only had 1 Server (Global Europe 1) and we had a Jackpot Battle (hereinafter JPB). This was where every player who entered fought until only one player remained. That remaining player won the Cash Prize. In 2007 came the first local servers (e.g. GB1, DE1, FR1..), however we still had the old JPB. In order to not have to pay out €10,000 to the winner of each server, all players from all servers were transferred to 1 map, and the winner (last player standing), won the JPB and the cash.

Here is a video I have found on YouTube from that time, showing the JPB in action, and how players from different servers we able to fight each other without needing to permanently merge the server from as far back as 2007 (the game was 1 year old)!

Now, let me be 100% clear: I am not suggesting that the JPB return, and I am not suggesting the reintroduction of a cash prize. That is never going to happen so it is pointless suggesting it.

What I am suggesting is that the same sort of mechanics which were used in 2007 be returned to the game to take two random similarly sized servers, pair them together, and for the event time frame, if players choose allow them to fight other players from the other server in 9 maps, laid out as follows:

3/13/23/3
    2/12/22/3
    1/11/21/3
    Players shall need to transfer to the Server War Maps similarly as they do when going to a Raid. They shall have to wait 15 seconds, once in the map they have 30 seconds immunity (unless an aggressive action is taken by the player). Once a player is sunk, they shall have to rejoin the Server War Maps.

Note: Due to the American Servers being on a different Server Cluster, they shall not be able to be paired with the European Cluster Servers I believe.

How this is technically implemented I can not say. This is a lot harder to implement than my Guild War idea, however I do believe it helps solve some key issues which are in the game and are worries of the players.

Event Point Calculation Examples:
    • Level
      • You are Level 20, sink a Level 20 (or higher) = 10 points
      • You are Level 20, sink a Level 18 = 8 points
      • You are Level 20, sink a Level 13 = 3 points
      • You are Level 20, sink a Level 10 (or lower) = 0 points
      • You sink a Player from your own Server = 0 points
    • BattlePoints
      • You are BP Rank 18, sink a player with BP Rank 18 (or higher) = 10 points.
      • You are BP Rank 18, sink a player with BP Rank 17 or 16 = 9 points.
      • You are BP Rank 18, sink a player with BP Rank 9 or 8 = 5 points.
      • You are BP Rank 18, sink a player with BP Rank 7 (or lower) = 0 points.
    • Level + BattlePoints
      • You are Level 20 and BP Rank 18, sink a player level 13 and BP rank 14 = 3 points + 8 points = 11 points.
      • You are Level 20 and BP Rank 18, sink a player level 15 and BP rank 22 = 5 points + 10 points = 15 points.
      • You are Level 20 and BP Rank 18, sink a player level 30 and BP rank 22 = 10 points + 10 points = 20 points.
      • You are Level 20 and BP Rank 18, sink a player level 2 and BP rank 5 = 0 points + 0 points = 0 points.
      • You are Level 30 and BP Rank 22, sink a player level 26 and BP rank 15 = 6 points + 6 points = 12 points
      • You are Level 30 and BP Rank 22, sink a player level 18 and BP rank 17 = 0 points + 7 points = 7 points
      • You are Level 4 and BP Rank 3, sink a player level 7 and BP rank 8 = 10 points + 10 points = 20 points

Event Rewards:
    Again, this area I have not thought that much about, as it does not matter what is placed here, BP will always evaluate and design their own rewards.
    However, in my personal opinion, I believe it should be rewards the whole server would want!
    Some potential examples which shall be given to every account from the Winning Server:
    • Double Scroll Rewards for 5 days (including End Rewards)
    • Double Chest Rewards for 5 days
    • Double Quest Rewards for 5 days
    • 10% Discount for 5 days
    • Badge showing how many times your Server has won the Server War
    There should also be individual rewards for the players who contributed to help your Server win the Server War (every player should get a reward). An example of these Rewards could be:
    • Server War Ship Design (Only players who have placed First gain this)
    • In game items

Key thoughts about the Server War:

Some background first. So as I said in the other thread; I was a big supporter for the Server Merge, I wanted the Large Option 1 Merge, and I pushed - hard for that as you can tell by reading the Discussion about it HERE. I thought it would be fun. The American Server did the Option 1 Merge, it is fun, it has also suffered with severe lag on and off since.

Looking at the state of the game now, the player count, the server issues on the American server, the comments from others. I admit that Option 1, the large merge, was the wrong choice. Although yes, currently there is still a large amount of players on that Server, due to the amount of players at the start a lot of players quit because of the inability to 'farm' - making the game more expensive. Other players quit because of the increase in bots. A lot of players quit because of the extreme lag. Some others simply did not like PvP and by the sheer amount players, they would find themselves forced into PvP. I would guess that over 50% of the players have quit since the Merge.

However, I also now believe that Merging the Servers as a whole was the wrong decision. It was a temporary fix without looking at the cause of the problem. Every Mega Server has lost a large amount of its player base. Most of these Servers are now the same size as a Server before the Server Merge. While I do believe that BigPoint are now indeed trying to solve the problems, I do not believe Merging Servers shall ever be the answer anymore. BigPoints goal should be to retain current players by keeping the game interesting and listening to their problems, and they should also be trying to attract and keep new players on the game, so servers shall become more populated and there is no need for a Merge.

While they are doing that though, there is a space to be filled! Come in Server War!

The Server War allows players from One Server, to fight against players from a Second Server for a time period! This helps to fulfil the boredom most players find between events, and also does not negatively impact any player who chooses not to participate, or does not like to PvP. At the same time, this provides the PvP players a way to fight in high intensity against new players - keeping the fun and interest in the game!

By allowing the Server to win Server Wide Buffs for a limited time such as the Double Chest Buff, the Double Scroll Buff, and the Double Quest Rewards, these are things which shall allow players to build up and play the game for cheaper and easier, while being a good incentive to bring a Server together to win!

I would also like to add, that this event could be expanded to Server v Server v Server, offering even better rewards to the winner, and good rewards for the runner up. By doing an event like this, as the player base keeps decreasing you can keep increasing the amount of Servers involved. That way the playing experience doesn't suffer even though there is less players playing the game. Again though, in my opinion this is a good event which is suitable for our current situation, Bigpoint should also be looking at repopulating servers and maintaining the population.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I think I have said enough for now! I look forward to reading your comments, suggestions and ideas to improve this. Please do not forget to leave a vote on the poll, and regardless of if you vote yes or no, leave your thoughts in a post so that your point of view gets explained and reviewed!

Thanks for reading,
    Arky

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    USB~Greybeard and AmiralCalzone like this.
  2. Well some servers don't have lots of active paying players so it most like would be a 1 sided thing. Lots of players don't even do just like the battle group maps at all and every thing like the battle days always won by exploiters period look at Seafight history on this league, battle days you name it always exploited! PASS

✘.Ǧ尺Λ√Ξ.✘ likes this.
  3. USSChallenger1

USSChallenger1 Old Hand

Once again my friend you have stumbled upon another great idea however let me make this suggestion, instead of server wars, how about doing it in a way during the soccor events, each player would make a choice to which team he wants to sail with for the particular event IE.. Peru vs. France, they pick either country, their ship turns into that ships colors and depending upon on who wins the soccor match that ship design becomes part of their inventory.

4. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

I am aware some servers do not have as many active players as another, this is why I stated that "Your Server is randomly paired with another similar size Server" which of course means that your Server shall be fighting another server with a player base of about the same value.

The reason players do not do Marauder Days is because the rewards are simply not worth it for most people. That is why with this event, I suggested very good and fair rewards for everyone. With the opportunity to win rewards which shall really make a difference, and provide the players with fun at the same time, I do believe a lot more players would play an event like this. Of course, not everyone will, but it helps solve one of the main problems a lot of players have currently of boredom and wanting a server merge.

You state that this will be exploited and won by exploiters. I am interested to know your thoughts on just how they will exploit this system?
    • They would require accounts on every other server.
    • The aforementioned accounts would need to be leveled up to a high level, and a high battle point rank to provide any decent amount of points - taking a very long time or a lot of money.
    • The aforementioned accounts would only be able to provide points twice per player, that is a lot of effort for such a small gain.
    • Of course any accounts created for the reason of pushing the ranking would lose and gain very minimal if any reward at all.
    • This 'exploit' would be taking place where everyone can see exactly what is going on, and able to record evidence.
    I honestly believe, it would be hard for anyone to win by exploiting the design of this event, and extremely time consuming for them to even setup anything which would make a difference.
    As I said though, if you have thought of a way this could be exploited, please do let me know, as I would like to think of ways it could be prevented for the betterment of this event.
    Thank you very much for your pleasantries.

To be completely honest with you, I believe what you have suggested could be a good idea, however is far away from the idea I have proposed, and could possibly be a separate event within the game. I encourage you to write up a Suggestion and Idea post about this mate, you might get some great feedback!

-Arky

5. michaelwells

michaelwells Forum Ambassador

Love the idea, Arky. :):):)

Possible problem? The lag factor during the first few days of each new Event.

Would your idea overburden whatever system the Event was placed on, literally creating an unplayable type of environment?

I think it would be a lot of fun; is it something that could be implemented?

Michael

6. frankthetank1974

frankthetank1974 Board Analyst

why not call it opps lag no one can move event :confused:

7. Riker(NZL)

Riker(NZL) Forum Apprentice

This would be a massive game changer and would be a lot of fun if they could fix the lag issue .make ammo 1/4 price to encourge fighting in merge maps , give real rewards worth fighting for as this game is expensive enough make it so severs will want to work as one to win the battle

8. Perahu.Kertas

Perahu.Kertas Someday Author

rank 1-100 baracuda ( merge server ) vs 1-100 baracuda ( merge server ) i think good id3a

9. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

Firstly thank you all for your comments, ideas, suggestions and worries regarding this. I am glad that it is still being talked about, and thought about seriously.
    I see no reason why it could not be implemented, as I said, it was implemented in a way in 2007.

In regards to the lag issue, lets compare, currently only the American Mega Server suffers from extreme lag. Most other Mega Servers do not suffer from lag like you do, and I think that is because of the amount of players/servers you have on your Mega Server. The American Mega Server has 7 Servers, where as every other Mega Server only has 3 Servers; you never see any of the other Servers requesting restarts like the American Server. So, as this event is 2 servers in a temporary cross server battle map, extreme lag should not be an issue I would think.

Of course, as always, this is Seafight and there is always that normal lag which players suffer from, but nothing server or player crippling.
    Thank you for your comments, I agree that this could bring some fun back into the game. With the introduction of this and Discord allowing you to communicate with players from other servers at any time, I think players would have a lot of fun fighting and competing against those they would not have been able to compete against before, and of course possibly make some new friends.
    Although I understand the reasoning; to keep it balanced. The problem with this, at least from my perspective, is that
    1. It would leave a lot of players who can not get involved in the event, and can not have fun in the Server War. With that said, once Cross Battle Maps like this have been introduced, I am sure the SF Team would then create further events using the functionality; like maybe a 5v5 cross battle map, or a tournament style event.
    2. Unfortunately, and it is well known, that the majority of players who are ranked 1-100 in these leagues are infact botters, and I do not feel it would be fair on the legitimate players by disallowing them to take part in this event.
    -Arky

michaelwells likes this.
  10. michaelwells

You are right, my friend. I am basing my comment solely from playing Mega America. That was why I couldn't really see the idea working out very well, over here. It's a shame, because I would like to do the Event. As Frank mentioned, it is likely it would become unplayable, and probably very quickly.

I still wish you luck on it, m8. :)

11. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

See the way the idea works though mate, is that one server is only paired with one server, so for instance US East might be paired and fight against US West, Global American 1 might be paired with Global America 2, etc. So that way, it should be a lot less laggy than it is currently for your Server. At least I hope it would be... really we are just speculating as we don't know how they technically would implement this.

-Arky

12. michaelwells

Ok, I understand it much better, now. I like the idea even more.

Curious as to how difficult it might be to separate the individual servers from the mega servers they are "bundled" on. Would they be willing to do that? And, can they expect to make a profit similar to what they make per Event, now?

Would love a twist on the Civil War theme: America East vs. America West, as an example.

As far as lag, I would agree. It should be a much smoother game play, I'm guessing.

13. Disagree. I doubt it would ever be implemented. My comment won't be explained further

14. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

I wouldn't expect it to be that hard.. A member of the SF Team told me that they will look into Cross Server Battle Maps, so with any luck! :p
    That's perfectly fine, means I have nothing to defend :p

-Arky

15. michaelwells

That was another question, the background and graphics. The overlaying of two servers onto one common gaming area.

16. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

It wouldn't have two sets of graphics on one map. It would just work like a regular map, one set of graphics with boats all in the map(s). They could even be custom made to make it seem more like a battle area, i.e. more like the 15-20 maps with dark water, lava etc etc.

-Arky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.