1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English Training Centre

Discussion in 'Players´ Corner' started by pek712, Sep 28, 2014.

Dear forum reader!

If you want to get actively involved in the Forum and participate in the discussions, or want to start your own thread or topic, you will have to log into the game first. We are looking forward to your next visit in our Forum! Please be sure to register if you do not own a game account. CLICK HERE
  1. pek712

pek712 All knowing Oracle

Hello everyone!

I saw a similiar thread to this one called "Learners of English". The reason why the thread was closed was a bit ambiguous to me, so I hope that it's OK that this thread exists.

But, to the topic - You know, that you can only speak English in this forum. But there are quite many that don't speak English as their native language. Here you can train your English skills and ask some questions about English. I'm sure that the native speakers will be pleased to help you!

I have a few wonders as well:

1. Is there a saying to "Domestic Rat"? That's what we say in Finnish :D
    It means a person that stays home rather than traveling all over the world/country/town. :D

2. Is it proper way to say: "Why hello!" ? Like not asking why, but just spicing the hello up :D

BONUS! I would also like to hear, that what is your favorite word in English?
    The question is to all, native English speakers and non-native :)
    I have to say that my favorite words are... sausages and twists, because of the pronunciation. :D I don't know why, but I love to say those words! :p

whitekitty and vlad210801 like this.
  2. vlad210801

vlad210801 Forum General

My favorite English words are:

-rubbish
    -allure

both because of the pronunciaton, the most funny pronuncation of 'allure' is how Miranda Hart and Sarah Hadland it say in the British comedy serie 'Miranda'. Maybe somebody knows it.:)

pek712 likes this.
  3. *TC1*

*TC1* All knowing Oracle

Why hello there, Pek! As spoken by people that are frightfully posh! The saying is of course, completely grammatically incorrect and yet said by some people.
    As for "domestic rat", in my region we call them "home birds", which sounds a little nicer!:D
    I know the programme well, Vlad - huge fan.
    As for favourite words - from my student days bleb was a favourite (it is an actual biological word).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  4. pek712

Thanks for letting me know TC! :) But I didn't talk anything about programmes o_O Did you mean Vlad? ;)

5. *TC1*

*TC1* All knowing Oracle

lost my voice and my marbles apparently:rolleyes:

pek712 likes this.
  6. vlad210801

vlad210801 Forum General

I have a question:

The verb 'to find' means that you search something, and when you got it you found it. If you translate 'find' to Dutch, it is 'vinden'. But in Dutch, 'vinden' means also something else: If you say what your opinion is, you can say: Ik (=I) vind...
    Is it also in English, that you can say 'I find' instead of 'My opinion is'?

pek712 likes this.
  7. pek712

Even though I'm non-native, I say YES. :)

Examples:

"I find that difficult."
    "I think that that is difficult."

"I found those cute when I was little."
    "When I was little, my opinion about them was that they were cute."

Isn't it like this o_O

8. *TC1*

*TC1* All knowing Oracle

I find in favour of a nice glass of wine....
    You are correct Vlad and Pek.

pek712 likes this.
  9. whitekitty

whitekitty Forum Baron

My favourite word is no less than supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!;)

promaster302, *TC1*, feej1274 and 2 others like this.
  10. pek712

A couple questions again:

1. Can you write w/ instead of with?
    2. Is there any difference between "while" and "whilst"?

Hoping for an answer
    pek712

11. BAW815

BAW815 Count Count

In answer to the first question pek, I would say that with is the normal way to say it, it is written w/ in a more casual way, it is said the same way, for example:

I am sleeping with the dogs.
    I am sleeping w/the dogs.

The second is more informal.

For the second question, it's more complicated, many native speakers of English have difficulty with this one. While is more commonly used. Whilst isn't as common. While I went to the store, I got some milk. Whilst going to the store, I got some milk. The usage is different and most would just say the former (first).

If you need more clarification, just ask. I am glad you like to know and know correctly. :inlove:

Favorite word, hmmmmmm, I'll have to get back with you on that. ;)

I am a native speaker of English from the United States. I know *TC1* is from England. The language is the similar but not exactly the same, it's like speakers of Spanish from Spain and Mexico.

*TC1* and pek712 like this.
  12. pek712

Thank you BAW :)

I can see the difference between while and whilst now. So it's more or less the same, but you just have to change the sentence, am I right? ;)

13. *TC1*

*TC1* All knowing Oracle

In England the two are interchangeable when used as conjunctions (a word that joins sentences together)
    e.g. I ate my tea whilst watching TV.
    I quite happily flip between the two without thinking about it, although I tend to use whilst when being more formal.

pek712 likes this.
  14. pek712

Good luck eating that tea TC :p Just now noticed that :D

But, to the topic, if something is a Christmas thing, is it Christmasy? Or how can you say it?

vlad210801 likes this.
  15. BeastMasterXXX

BeastMasterXXX Living Forum Legend

Hi Pek. When TC says she is eating tea - she is referring to a meal. Tea (also high tea) is an evening meal - possibly a light meal such as a sandwich if you have had a large meal at lunchtime.

Yes it is ok to say Christmassy (double 's' before the 'y') though there may be slightly better ways of expressing it, depending on the sentence and content.

vlad210801 and pek712 like this.
  16. pek712

Ok thank you Beast. :) And oh! Tea is a light evening meal. Every day you learn something new ;) Sorry TC if this caused you any sort of offending!

vlad210801 and BeastMasterXXX like this.
  17. *TC1*

*TC1* All knowing Oracle

Of course not, Pek. English is an interesting language with many different sayings and meanings, so I'm not in the slightest bit offended if a anybody misconstrues me (chuckle) especially when done with a sense of humour ;).

18. whitekitty

whitekitty Forum Baron

Hello, friends! (wave)
    I have just been awarded the title Padavan. Naturally, I wanted to see what it means and... :eek:
    My dictionaries are of no help, neither is a Google search. It referred me to Padawan, and when I insisted on Padavan (expecting double spelling or something of the kind), informed me that Padavan has been looked up 702 times, is no one's favorite word yet, is on no lists yet, has no comments yet, and is not a valid Scrabble word.
    So, what am I?
    :rolleyes:
    Your wondering Padavan,
    Kitty

feej1274 likes this.
  19. feej1274

feej1274 Living Forum Legend

Hi Kitty

Good question:eek: I have searched too and got the same results, even searched in other languages with no joy:oops: Maybe your just too special for words to describe;)

20. whitekitty

whitekitty Forum Baron

Oh, thanks, Fee! You've just cheered up a poor confused Padavan... ;) and set her mind at peace. However, I might try and play Boys vs. Girls for a couple of days to get out of this ambiguous situation faster...