1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English Training Centre

Discussion in 'Players´ Corner' started by pek712, Sep 28, 2014.

Dear forum reader!

If you want to get actively involved in the Forum and participate in the discussions, or want to start your own thread or topic, you will have to log into the game first. We are looking forward to your next visit in our Forum! Please be sure to register if you do not own a game account. CLICK HERE
  1. BeastMasterXXX

BeastMasterXXX Living Forum Legend

Hey Pek

Good question - and difficult to answer completely. Both can be considered correct as plurals.

In British English we tend to use fruit more than fruits but in US English they will use fruits more often. Some will say that you should use fruits when talking about different varieties of fruit, but using fruit in this instance is also correct.

I guess you just have to use what you think sounds better - for instance:-

There is fruit on the table
    There is a variety of fruit on the table
    But also
    There are a number of fruits of the table.

What do you think?

Now, ask yourself about the plural of fish. Is it fish or fishes?

donademene, whitekitty and pek712 like this.
  2. pek712

pek712 All knowing Oracle

Thank you for your answer Beast, it really is appreciated :)

We have been taught in school that the plural of fish is 'fishes' only when talking about different fish species, otherwise fish. For example, there are a lot of different fishes, but there are plenty of fish in the sea.
    I hope that is correct and hey! that's funny, 'species' is another irregular plural :D

BeastMasterXXX and whitekitty like this.
  3. BeastMasterXXX

BeastMasterXXX Living Forum Legend

Yes, that's what I would have said about fish/fishes too (chuckle)

We sure do have a funny language.

pek712 and donademene like this.